Thanks

Win2K Self-Corrects

How can I "disable" Win2k's ability and habit of putting back files that I have changed on purpose?

Example: I named another notepad prog notepad.exe... worked fine -- the first time. Then Win2k put it back...

Love to turn that one off...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2K Self-Corrects

I had the same problem with NoteTab and it's option to replace Notepad with a 'Dummy Notepad' program. (Windows launches Notepad, but the dummy program handles the request and opens NoteTab instead.)

The key to the problem is the Windows File Protection (WFP) system that is meant to ensure that no system file gets replaced. If it detects a change in one of its monitored programs it will replace the 'bad' program with another copy of its 'good' program. While this protection can be useful, it makes it very hard to intentionally replace a standard Windows program with one of our choosing, even if the change is being made while using a fully-enabled Admin-type account.

On my XP-Pro machine I was able to turn off WFP, delete the backup copy of Notepad, and then let NoteTab replace the working copy of Notepad. Perhaps my system is a little more vulnerable, but I can live with that. On my Win2K-Pro machine I had a much harder time, so in the end I decided to leave the default Notepad in place, but went into Folder Options | File Types instead and edited the various file types to use NoteTab instead. It took a little while to get them all -- any time Windows used Notepad instead of NoteTab I would close the file, edit the file type, and then continue. There may still be some file types that are associated with Notepad, but they would not be for any file type that I use.

This 'gradual replacement' may be your easiest interim solution, switching over your more critical file types now and fine tuning others later.

Thanks

David:

Where did you find the "WFP Switch" on your one machine?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From the WinXP Help on Windows File Protection:
    <hr>Windows File Protection detects attempts by other programs to replace or move a protected system file. Windows File Protection checks the file's digital signature to determine if the new file is the correct Microsoft version. If the file is not the correct version, Windows File Protection either replaces the file from the backup stored in the Dllcache folder or from the Windows CD. If Windows File Protection cannot locate the appropriate file, it prompts you for the location. Windows File Protection also writes an event to the event log, noting the file replacement attempt.<hr>
    From XTeq's X-Setup:
    <hr>By default, WFP uses the folder "%SystemRoot%System32" (which translater to C:WINNTSYSTEM32) to store the cached versions of the system files but you can enter any path here.
    Please note that WFP will append the folder "DLLCACHE" itself, means if you want to store the cache on E:MISCDLLCACHE, enter only E:MISC as the path.<hr>
    You could browse to this folder and remove Notepad, which would then cause WFP to fail when it attempts to restore the program after you replace it with your own version.

I wasn't able to locate any built-in Windows utility (though I do believe there is one, somewhere), so instead I used X-Setup's tool to record turning off WFP. The following Registry setting was created/modified:
    <hr>
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon]
    "SFCDisable"=dword:FFFFFF9D<hr>
    The entire text file recorded is attached; you should be able to rename it to .REG and merge it directly into your registry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Thanks... that should help...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow