Star Lounger
    Thanks

No printer on printer port

I've always had very good help with the lounge, so here comes yet another bizarre problem. I'm running Windows 98 on an old Gateway Solo laptop and have had a Canon LBP 660 laser printer set up on it for years. In a pathetic attempt to network my office, I share the printer through a simple router switch with my wife's printer and this too has worked for years. Suddenly, whenever I print, I get an error message saying that the printer is not connected. After running through every possible cable combination in the house, I've determined that the problem is not in the router switch nor in the cables (I even bought new parallel port cables for the printer). When I try to re-install my printer driver, the driver setup program says that no printer is connected to the computer. Why has my parallel printer port suddenly died? Going in to setup and looking at the printer properties shows that the correct port has been selected for the printer. I cannot find anything wrong, but I've suddenly lost my printing. Perhaps this question should go to hardware as well, but if anyone has any suggestions in this forum, I'd appreciate the help.
    Best,
    ATL

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: No printer on printer port

Could be on the Motherboard side. If you have changed cables and the Drivers are installed correctly and have not become corrupted, it could possibly be a Motherboard issue. Is the printer working OK on your other Computer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Works just fine on the other computer. I even switched all the cables to my wife's setup and routed her through what is normally my side of the routing switch and everything worked. The problem must be on this side somewhere in this computer. What do I do to fix the motherboard?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the LPT port on your motherboard has gone belly-up, I don't think there's anything you can do to fix it. However, to save buying a new motherboard, you could ADD an LPT card, if you've got an available internal slot for it. (When you said you share printers through the router, you DO mean that on yours and her computers, the printers ARE connected to the PC's LPT port, right? In other words, you're not using a network printer device, connected to your router, are you?)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Al for the reply. Yes, both PC's are running out of hte LPT port and into the router. Now that I think of things, I noticed that the printer was occasionally turning over (acting like it was coming on line as it does when the PC is in start up or shutdown) these last few months when I was connected to it. Perhaps these were ill-read signs of the impending failure of the port. I'm a very big rookie here, so I'm in over my head when you talk about LPT slots (I have no idea if I have the available space). How expensive/difficult is it to replace the motherboard? Many thanks for your patience and help.
    ATL

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wait a minute.....Sorry.....My failure to "RTFM," in this case your original post! You obviously can't add an LPT card to a laptop. Dang, I better get another cup of coffee! Having been the owner of a Solo 5100 and a Solo 5150, I'll tell you that our friends at Gateway will charge you more than you'll want to pay for a replacement motherboard. As an example, the Solo 5150 I mentioned developed a bad "monitor" and Gateway wanted "more than" $700 to replace it. In these times, that's just not practical.

On the other hand, you probably ought to call them to see if they can do anything (affordable) to help you with the LPT problem.

Banned Member
    Thanks

How about using an Adapter to turn it into USB. See this LPT Printer to USB port This Belkin adaptor allows a USB port to be connected to a parallel printer. Compatible with all Windows `95 and `98 printers. Cable length: 182cm.