3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Cleanup (XP Home)

I encounter a problem when I try to run Disk Cleanup on my wife's desktop PC running XP Home. It starts, provides the window that it is calculating and this may take a few minutes, shows "scanning: compress old files, and displays 3 or 4 dots on the progress bar and . I have left this run literally all day and it makes no progress nor makes any change in that window. If I look in Task Manager, it is taking 95-99% of the CPU. This is the first time I have tried to run Disk Cleanup on this computer.
    I have run Norton Antivirus (no virus found), Norton WinDoctor (no errors found), Norton Speed Disk (was only 4% fragmented), and cannot find any problem that might be hanging the program. In fact, the program appears to be actively working and does not lock. I have tried turning off Norton Antivirus and run Disk Cleanup but no change.
    How can I determine what is causing this problem?

Thanks

Re: Disk Cleanup (XP Home)

Have you tried to uncheck the option to compress old files, then try it? It sounds like you may have a file or files that are corrupt and it hangs on the attempt to compress them.
    You also could uncheck each option box, one at a time to see if it is that particular trouble maker.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Banned Member
    Thanks

You might try turning off any Anti Virus Programs first and see if that helps.

Also read this. Speeding Up Disk Cleanup

Thanks

Hi, Jim ~

Even if you never enable the 'Compress drive to save disk space' option (and the suggestion is that you do not), you must endure a ridiculously long time while your drive is scanned for potential space savings. With multi-GB HDs, this is just plain silly to save a couple of megabytes by compressing a few files. Here is simple way to eradicate Disk Cleanup's lengthy calculation of the possible savings from compression:<UL><LI>'Start' > 'Run' > type regedit > click 'OK'<LI>Navigate to[/list]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerVolumeCachesCompress old files
    <UL><LI>Right-click 'Compress old files' > 'Export' to save a copy for backup<LI>In the right-hand pane you should have a default value the data reading B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678<LI>Right-click > 'Delete' > 'OK' > close Registry Editor[/list]When you use Disk Cleanup, it will now skip the usual analysis of how much your old files could be compressed and you'll be on your way in seconds.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thats exactly what my Link said.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce,

Thanks for the guidance. It was right on target. It cured the problem. Appreciate the help.

Jim