Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP (Home) Upgrade (SP 1)

My mother (82) got her first computer 2 years ago, and she loves it and uses it well. It was running Win98, but crashed a lot. So when she visited here (she lives in Germany, I in FL) she loved how stable my new XP ran. So we just upgraded her machine (Celeron, 800MB) with more memory and WinXP (she has a young techie that helps). Everything runs fine except her modem. The techie has downloaded new drivers for everything, the modem works fine for a few days, then doesn't dial in (modem not recognized). After closing everything down it dials in again. This happens more and more, that is, the no-dials increase over the dials. I have worked with her via phone to delete the modem, then reconfigure it, and install the XP driver from the disk. Same story, it works fine for a while, then doesn't dial in, etc...
    Sorry to be so lengthy, it's hard to explain. Anyway. I think the modem is just not compatible with XP (no actual driver update available for XP, only generic). Am I on the right track? The intermittend part has us stimied -- including the techie. Thanks for all the good info out there. Have learned tons in these fori (forums??) just trying to research the problem.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP (Home) Upgrade (SP 1)

Well I'll tell you what I would do if it were my Mother. I would look under WinXP's Compatabilty List for a Modem that is Compatible with Win XP, and replace the one giving you all the trouble. That way it's a pretty good bet you will find Drivers that will work well with WinXP and will stop giving your Poor Mother so much grief. She is at an age where the less grief the better.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you cannot find appropriate driver for XP, try to use the driver for Win2000. Sometimes it works. But if your mother's modem is old and slow, consider to acquire a new one.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the understanding reply. We have ordered a new modem for her because we assume that's the problem. I checked the compatibility list and it lists her modem, but the driver she has is an older version so I think we are on the right track.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

A link and two websites I would give to your mom--the new modem should work out with the drivers:
    Modem Issues Auto Connect/Disconnect/Dial-Up Windows XP
    307164: Win XP Internet Programs Can't Connect Through a Broadband Connection

and

Two Sites:

Troubleshooting Windows XP
    Elder Geek (Has Nothing to do with Age)

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the info!! I have bookmarked the links, they are GREAT. -- Mom is off and running again, the techie reconfigured everything, plus we had ordered additional memory, which he installed. Everything seems to be running fine for now. The new modem didn't arrive yet, so we'll see how these fixes hold, and for how long. Meanwhile I'll peruse all the info. Thanks again.