New Lounger
    Thanks

Headers and Footers Manipulation (English/Office 2000)

Can anyone help? I am attempting to identify what type of Header I have in a particular Section, but seem to be going around in circles.

I am analysing each Section individually, then trying to analyse the Header in each Section, depending on the Header option will dictate what I need to do with it. I have tried:

If Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterFi rstPage) Then
    If Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterFi rstPage). Exists
    If Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterFi rstPage).Index

If I count the Headers in the Section, the value is 3 (which I can only presume is the Header options - wdHeaderFooterFirstPage, wdHeaderFooterPrimary and wdHeaderFooterEvenPages).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jackie

Thanks for any help.
    Jackie

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Headers and Footers Manipulation (English/Office 2000)

The middle one should yield the desired information. In a new document, I get the following results:

<table border=1><td align=center>Expression</td><td align=center>Value</td><td>Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFoot erPrimary).Exists</td><td>True</td><td>Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFoot erFirstPage).Exists</td><td>False</td><td>Activedocument.Section(1).Headers(wdHeaderFoot erEvenPages).Exists</td><td>False</td></table>
    Even though Activedocument.Section(1).Headers.Count returns 3, only one of the three headers (the primary one) exists.

Thanks

I think the explanation for HansV's result is as follows:

.Count indicates the maximum number of possible headers that can be defined in Page Setup

.Exists tells you which headers have actually been set up in Page Setup (there is always at least one)

And...

.Range.Characters.Count > 1 tells you that header is not empty

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for the help to yourself and Hans. I did eventually realise that the word "exists" was the key to all my problems. Can't believe I spent the whole day looking at this when it was such a simple solution.

Regards
    Jackie