New Lounger
    Thanks

Half-Remembered Prodigal

I've just returned to the Lounge after an extended hiatus, and on the way back in I encountered a Pecuilar Phenomenon which may want looking at. Put simply, the Lounge identity processors had only partially forgotten my existence.

Attempts to log in via my old username and password returned (quite properly, after all that time) a "not found" response. As far as the Gatekeeper Droid was concerned, I didn't exist any more. [My browser -- IE 6 -- also got kicked into a script-loop; the page I got kept saying "you'll be returned to the login screen shortly", but instead kept bouncing me back to itself again and again till I clicked a link to Somewhere Else.)

OTOH, when I tried to resurrect myself using my prior username, it wouldn't let me do so -- claiming as its reason that "Username exists"! After several failed passes and much deleting of extremely stale cookies, I finally gave up and revived myself under a slightly modified username, which was fine with the Gatekeeper Droid.

This is, however, frustrating and not entirely consistent. I certainly understand the logic of deleting inactive accounts, and I can also think of reasons why one might not be able to recycle usernames indiscriminately (there'll be posts attached to them, for one thing). But nothing in the Help/FAQ that we returning prodigals can get to from Outside explains the protocols -- and if the no-recycle setup is deliberate, and meant to screen folk who try to create multiple accounts, the Gatekeeper Droid ought to have belched when I handed it a new username attached to the same email address as my deactivated one.

In the end, though, I'm very glad to be back under whatever identity.
    "What's loved, survives." (Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry)

Thanks

Re: Half-Remembered Prodigal

Hi, John ~

John C Bunnell -any relation to prime time?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Half-Remembered Prodigal

Heh. Nope, no relation to the Famous Police Video Guy -- allthough, weirdly enough, we're both from Portland, Oregon. Once in awhile I get phone calls or email from folks looking for him, however.
    "What's loved, survives." (Diane Duane, Deep Wizardry)