Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing where word finds Normal.dot (MSWord 2000 - SP3)

I would like to know if there is a way to get word to find Normal.dot in the Workgroups templates folder before it finds it in the User templates folder. In the system I am working on the users workgroup and user templates are set to different locations (user to H:/ drive and workgroup to I:/drive) I want to be able to update the styles in the I:/ drive and have them reflect through the template but as Word checks user templates directory first it is not picking up the updates - is there any way to change this.

Hope it makes sense - thanks in advance

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing where word finds Normal.dot (MSWord 2000 - SP3)

Hi Boyley:
    Word searches for normal.dot in a particular order. You can change this by deleting every user's normal.dot & putting one in the workgroup folder, but most experts agree that there are better ways to accomplish your purpose. Furthermore, a user could rebuild a normal.dot in their user folder. You would be better off having users start their documents with a company wide template from the Workgroups template than messing with normal.dot. Each user should be free to modify their own normal.dot.

For the search order, see this article
    Cheers,