New Lounger
    Thanks

Compacting a database (97 SR-2)

I am having trouble compacting a particular database (other databases can be compacted). During the compacting it returns errors, such as 'Invalid Data Object Reference' and 'Microsoft Jet could not find MSysCompactError.' I checked References in VBA and none are missing. I have had this trouble for a while now. Anyone have an idea of what is going on? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compacting a database (97 SR-2)

I fear that your database has become corrupted. You may or may not be able to retrieve it completely. If you have a very recent backup that doesn't have this problem, it might be a good idea to go back to that. If not, make a backup copy of the problem database now.

Do you have Jet 3.5 SP3 installed? This service pack comes with an improved compact-and-repair option, and also a standalone compact utility Jetcomp.exe that can solve some problems that the internal compact can't handle. You can download it from ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download

You can also try to import as many database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) as you can from the problem database into a blank new database. If you succeed, you will have to set startup options anew (as well as references to non-standard VBA libraries if necessary)