New Lounger
    Thanks

Scatter Plot Question (2002)

I am trying to help a user figure out how scatter plots choose their x-axis values and, by extension, how Excel determines scale for these charts. The data series we are playing with at this point is very small, but will grow when used "live". I have included the practice chart below. None of the values in the data sheet are greater than 5, but the scale goes to 15 and some of the points on the chart seem to indicate that the chart is using row numbers, rather than values in column A. I am thoroughly stumped on this one.
    Can someone help make this an accurate scatter plot?

Thanks in advance,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scatter Plot Question (2002)

The cells in column A are formatted as text. One of them uses a comma, others a point. So Excel can't use column A as x-axis values.
    Select column A, and set number formatting to general. Ensure that all cells are consistent in the use of the decimal separator.
    Then, convert column A to numeric: select the column, then select Data | Text to Columns, Delimited, Finish.
    The chart should look more like what you had in mind now.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scatter Plot Question (2002)

Excellent! Thank you Hans! I stumbled across the fact that some of the values were text after I posted my question, but totally missed the comma.
    Thank you very much.