New Lounger
    Thanks

2nd Hard Drive (XP Home SP1)

I'm currently experiencing the desktop refreshing itself often whilst accessing the HD's since installing a new mobo and processor. I'm using two hard drives 40gb and 60gb with the 40gb being the main and the latter being the slave. I've had 3 HD's on the older mobo yet I've never seen this before.

The reason I've gone straight to the hard drive subject is because I've checked through the admin event viewer system error records and I get -
    Source: Disk
    Event ID: 15
    and in the description it says "the device, Harddisk2D, is not ready for access yet.

The help link has no solution for it. Thinking about it as I write however it may be because the 2nd HD is lettered F:

Would that be the problem?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2nd Hard Drive (XP Home SP1)

Ok, it's just happened again and I've found this instead via the Application Error Records.

Source: Winlogon
    Event ID : 1002
    Description : The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

Clicking the link showed :-
    Explanation
    This event record indicates that the user has been assigned a mandatory profile. The user can change environment settings during a logon session; however, these changes are not saved in the profile at the end of the session.

There is no indication of an error, as I previously thought was being logged, at the time the refresh happened.

Now I'm stumped.

Hope you might be able to help.

Cheers in advance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

New mobo, you say? Perhaps the chipset drivers need updating. For VIA based boards, you can find them at http://www.viaarena.com/. For Intel boards, you should check out the download page at Intel's site. If these are SCSI drives, check your termination.

Check for loose connections, try different IDE cables, and make sure all your ducks are in a row. Microsoft offers some additional information on general troubleshooting Event ID 15 here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=259237

Good luck!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Done the basics, but will try your suggestions also.

Thanks

Steve

Banned Member
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help all.

I ended up uninstalling most of the larger programmes. I also managed to remove part of the windows service pack!!! I was a bit gung ho at removing the software and this resulted in XP not recognising the DSL modem. I had to create a network using my laptop as the server in order to be able to download all of the XP updates to the desktop, and no I didn't have a backup of any updates. It was a 9 hour job to get everything working again, but all is working perfectly now.

The cause of this problem? A sodding game loaded onto the slave drive. Delta Force Black Hawk Down!!!

I've learned a couple of things here:-

1 - Not to be so Gung Ho in stripping the HD before fault finding.
    2 - Not to install games onto a slave drive where the registry is changed on the master. (Or am I wrong there? I figured that's what goes on under those circumstances and I can't see it being beneficial. So should I stick programmes on the same drive as where the registry gets updated?

Anyway. Thanks again for the help.

Steve