New Lounger
    Thanks

Extract text from a cell (ACCESS 2000) (ACCESS 2000)

HELP!!! I'm trying to find out how I can extract certain text from a many cells via query.
    What I have is a list of manufactures with their part number all in one cell. I would like to extract the PN into a separate cell. I would do this in Excel with the 'MID' and 'FIND' functions, but my list is around 125000 lines and won't fit. The part numbers are separated from the MFG by a space. I have tried the 'SEARCH' function in the expression builder that the Access help says it has, but I get an error indicating that this is an unrecognizable function. Does anyone know of any way (w/out using VB) to extract this information. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Drew Patton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extract text from a cell (ACCESS 2000) (ACCESS 2000)

SEARCH is an Excel worksheet function; it is not available in Access. You can use the InStr function, in combination with Left, Mid and Right.

InStr(strText, strSearch) tries to find strSearch in strText and returns the position of the first character where strSearch is found, or 0 if it is not found.

Example: InStr("Woody's Lounge", "dy") returns 4 because "dy" starts at position 4 in "Woody's Lounge".

There is a variant of InStr in which you specify where to start looking: InStr(StartPos, strtext, strSearch).

Example: InStr(8, "Woody's Lounge", "dy") returns 0 because "dy" is not found if you start from the 8th character in "Woody's Lounge".

Does this give you enough to work with? If not, provide more details (is the structure "MFG PN" or "PN MFG" or something else?)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Extract text from a cell (ACCESS 2000) (ACCESS 2000)

IT WORKS!!!
    Thanks, you help is greatly appreciated!