Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Add Hardware Wizard (WIN XP Home)

I recently had trouble when I tried to install an Epson C 82 printer (Plug and Play). The Add New Hardware Wizard never appear. Manually I tried and the dialogue box said there was another application running( there was not one running) and I couldn't use it.

I did install the printer manually with Run/ Setup.exe.

Why am I getting this message on the Wizard

Thanks

Re: Add Hardware Wizard (WIN XP Home)

Shirley,
    Is this the first time that new hardware was not recognized? I would check to see if "plug & play" (plug & pray) is enabled in the system BIOS.
    Since you were able to install the printer manually, it would seem that driver and all are OK, but I would also check with the Epson website for any newer driver availability.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Shirley,
    To install you printer, you must use (or it can start automatically) Add Printer Wizard, NOT Add New Hardware Wizard (a printer is not a part of your computer).
    Click Start | Printers and Faxes and from File menu click Add Printer. If your printer is already installed, you will see "Epson C82 (2)" printer. To check is installation correct, right-click it, from pop-up menu choose "Properties" and then click "Print test page" button. You can easily delete additional printers and rename them - don't be afraid, you can install it once again. You can even run your printer Setup once again without closing Printers folder and see what's happening. Try to experiment with printer installation a little until you succeed, and delete all extra printers.
    Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried both suggestions and still when I open the Control Panel- Add Hardware the following is the dialogue box I get-
    "You can install only one device at a time. Another device installation is underwaym, when it is finishedm you can try this wizard again."
    I am not trying to install anything.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Press Windows key and Pause/Break key on your keyboard simultaneously. System Properties window will appear. Click Hardware tab, then Device Manager button. Do you see any problem devices (with yellow exclamation or red X signs)?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did as suggested and no devices were flagged in the Device Manager.

Thanks

Try this:
    Navigate to Windowsprefetch folder. Delete the entire contents of the prefetch folder ( not the folder ).
    Go to Control panel | printers & faxes. Delete any mention of any printers there.
    Click on add new printer and follow the wizard's instructions for your printer.
    ReBoot.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why are you going to the Control Panel to Add a printer with the "Add Hardware" function?
    Kaplinb explained specifically -- that is not how to add printers.

Thanks

If you would READ , it said, control panel | printers & faxes to add new PRINTERS. NOT add new hardware. Goes to the same place that kaplinb said.

Bob
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have not confused Add Printer/Faxes with Add Hardware. I do know the difference. The Epson C82 is installed and running properly. I just have a question regarding the dialog box when I DO go to the Add Hardware.
    The question that I have is-
    When I go to - Control Panel- Add Hardware - the dialog box comes up and states:
    "You can install only one device at a time. Another device installation is underway, when it is finished, you can try this wizard again."
    I AM NOT OR INSTALLING ANYTHING. Why is this message coming up?

Thanks

Shirley,
    That reply to a post was for "rarlingt" who has confused the two, not your problem.

Have you tried my suggestion in <post#=273648>post 273648</post#> yet?

Bob
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"Why is this message coming up? " The installing of a piece of hardware has failed and NOT completed. You need to find what hardware has failed, by going to the control panel and then the System icon, and then the "Device Manager" tab. Check every hardware group and make sure there are NO yellow markers noting a failed device.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I complied with your suggestion and the only Yellow markers I have are by the Other devices (Yellow ? mark) and the Epson C 82 printer also has the (Yellow ? mark) but shows the device is working properly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did not try your suggestion but will try that. Sorry I misunderstood the posting you did to "rarlingt".

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am not the "Expert" here therefore when I empty the Prefetch folder, will I be deleting necessary files?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast