Lounger
    Thanks

Slide Show defaults to projector? (Win98/PowerPoint 2000)

We're using PowerPoint at our church to project song lyrics and the pastor's sermon notes on screens at the front of the sanctuary. Up until a couple of weeks ago, we could open any PowerPoint slide show and when we started the show it would automatically go to the projector's, and not to the operator's PC monitor. This had been working correctly for over a year. However, we had some problems recently that resulted in the entire operating system and Office products being reinstalled. Now, we can't figure out how to get the slide shows to project on the screens by default. We can go in to the Slide Show Setup and set it to show on the projectors, but we have to do that for every slide show.

How can we set it to use the projectors by default, like we did before? Nobody that was here then can remember what we had to set to get that accomplished.

Thanks,

Thanks

Re: Slide Show defaults to projector? (Win98/PowerPoint 2000)

Are you using a laptop?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's a full-fledged rack-mounted PC, permanently installed in the church balcony (near the lighting control board, sound board, etc).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You need to download a patch. There's a problem with version 2000 remembering your preference for what you want it to show on. See this for more details and maybe it will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;241277

LennyJo

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I've already seen that patch, and we might try it, but I don't think it's what we're looking for. That patch fixes the issue where you set a presentation to show on the second monitor (which would be our projectors) and it doesn't save the setting in the presentation, but that's not the problem we're having. Our issue is that we never used to set which monitor to use at all, in each presentation. I could just open up any old slide show, and when I showed it, it would appear on the projectors. Now I can't.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would install the patch before going any further.

Once installed, in a new file you can also try to pick the options in Set Up Show and then save it as Blank Presentation.pot, making that the default setting anytime you open PowerPoint anew.

BTW, do any of these shows have macros in them? And they are PPT files, not PPS, right?

LennyJo

Thanks

Could you have reversed what Windows thinks are the primary and secondary monitors?

Lounger
    Thanks

I thought of that, but I couldn't figure out how to do it again (if that is indeed what had been done before). Also, if we made the projectors the primary monitor, then wouldn't the windows desktop and any programs other than slide shows appear on the projectors by default? That was not happening before: everything was on the regular monitor except slideshows (and anything we happened to drag over to the projectors).

Lounger
    Thanks

I'll talk to the sysadmin at church about getting that patch installed, and I'll try that bit with Blank Presentation, too. Does that need to go into a particular directory?

And no, there are no macros in these slide shows, and yes, they are PPT files. We actually get PowerPoint running on the desktop while the slide show is showing on the projectors. We occasionally have to make edits during the church service, so it's important that we not just have the show running. There's nothing fancy about these slide shows at all: mostly just text, with minimal animation and very little in the way of graphics. Due to the size we have to project at, there's usually not even very much text on each slide.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A good blurb about creating the default presentation is here...

http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00245.htm

LennyJo

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's a fine idea but it only concerns new presentations. Since none of the presentations are actually created on this computer (the pastor creates his sermon notes on his Mac, somebody in the church office puts together the announcements loop, and the music secretary puts together the song lyrics), it has no effect.

I still need to get that patch installed that you mentioned, but it sounds like that only affects when you change the monitor setting in a slide show and save it, something we've not had to do.

Thanks,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help, LennyJo (and others!). It seems that the solution was much simpler: install OfficeXP. Apparently, that's what we had on that computer before the reinstall, and the guy who reinstalled the software forgot. Since that is the only PC in the entire church with OfficeXP rather than Office2000, I guess it's an understandable oversight.