New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook trying to use Remote Connection (2000)

Hi all.

I have a user which when he has outlook open, messages are not delivered automatically. The user has to press send and receive and when doing this, outlook attempts to dial using Microsoft Exchange Remote connection.

We have recently installed a hand held e-mail system which seems to be affecting this.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

David Aitchison

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook trying to use Remote Connection (2000)

It's only happening to one person? Kind of sounds like they are set up to work off line.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is only happening to onw person. And i have a small icon in the bottom right of outlook that looks like a disconnected network drive. How do i get them back on-line?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would 1st confirm network connectivity. Are they logging on with the right account and getting authenticated? Can they use other network resources like printers and file shares? If there are any problems here, they need to be addressed first. If all's well here, then try making a new profile as the easiest fix. The actual steps depend on the version of outlook, but you can start by right click on the outlook icon on the desktop and choosing properties.

New Lounger
    Thanks

They are connected to the network. When i choose to synchronise manually, this is completed without error. To broaden the scope, this particular user is on an ADSL line and connects to outlook VIA a VPN.

David

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Dunno anything about VPN's. Is this user set up in Corporate/Workgroup Mode, and if so under Tools | Services do they use Exchange Server, and then if so have you looked at the Properties | Settings for the Server?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can try Tools Menu | Services

1) Click the Delivery Tab and make sure its set to Exchange
    2) Click the Services Tab, select Exchange and click Properties. In the Advanced tab, check the Off line settings. In the General tab, choose to manually control conection state (this will cause Outlook to prompt the user to work off line or on line).

It's possible the connection is too slow for "Automatic detect" to realize you have a connection to the server, so it's going off line. There's no documentation of this time window that I can find, but it's an RPC call and those generally time out ofter a few hundred milliseconds. If this is the case you may want to leave off-line enabled.