New Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Log-on info (Outlook '03-Beta)

After using the 2003 Beta of Outlook for several weeks (I like it....), out of the blue I now have a count of the messages located in my inbox being shown on the Windows XP logon window.

Now then, by itself this isn't really an issue. However, in true beta fashion, the message count is both wrong, and growing in size. It did say three messages (wrong count), and now says five messages (still wrong...) and won't go away. I actually clear my inbox several times daily.

There are three other users on the logon screen, all using the '03 Beta of Office, and only I am getting the message count.

I've poked at the Outlook settings, Windows settings and the registry. Any thoughts on what I'm missing, or is it just a beta thing?

Thanks-
    Eric

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Log-on info (Outlook '03-Beta)

This has come up in other contexts that I don't specifically recall. Perhaps some other loungers do. Best guess? Take a look at outlook express and see if items there are being added to your outlook numbers.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. hadn't thought to look at OE. I'll check when I get back later today.

I have not used OE on this machine/this profile. I've seen & fixed many VBT when using OE and Outlook on the same profile (Very Bad Things).

Nevertheless, I'll fire up OE long enough to be sure that it's not the cause, checking both the options & settings, as well as the message count. I've never fed it any mail account info, but OE is, indeed, an odd animal......

Thanks!
    Eric

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked...

OE isn't the culprit.
    No new messegas there, not even any mail account info set up.

Thanks-
    Eric

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are ANY of the folders or sub folder in Outlook 2003 "Bold"? If so you have a buried unread message. I have run into this many times. People will resort their files and place the unread files way off the the screen. Make sure that the "Unread Mail" folder is empty.

I am NOT having this problem.

Also have you installed the "Refresh" for Office 2003 Beta 2?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

A good point there Dave.

I'm familiar with the issue behind Outlook not necessarily opening nested folders to reveal unread mail items. I use folder view as often as the new views in which are available in the '03 beta, such as the "Search Folders" like "Unread Mail".

One of the major "Fix Attempts" was to replace my pst, as it was time for a refresh and backup of the pst anyway. Standard routine, Close & rename the pst, create a new one, then copy the important stuff from the old to the new. This time, I ran Outlook prior to bringing my email into it, also logged of & on the system several times. Even tried logging off -and- a simple user switch (vs. a complete log off) with Outlook still up & running, and still the XP logon screen still thought I had five unread messages. Would even tell me what accounts they were supposedly from.

Way way too weird.....

Even more weird- get this: I replaced the pst three days ago. Had this minor annoyance going on for a week or so. This morning, the message count was gone when I logged on. Yup, the problem is gone. Faded like the night.

Which leaves me wondering- Where is the logon screen getting the count from? I've used Office and Outlook for work and play daily since Office '95. I'm a tech junky from waaay back, and an MCSA to boot. I'm sure there is a trigger somewhere, but dang if I can find it.

Simply confused (or is that simple & confused?)
    Eric