3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tips are hidden (Windows XP)

Hi
    On the task bar (tray) every now and again the tips that pop up to show what the icon is for gets hidden behind the task bar and then can't be read which is very annoying.

Is this a known problem and if so is there a fix for it.

Thanks in advance
    Dax

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tips are hidden (Windows XP)

Frank--

There are a couple ways that might improve this off the top of my head:

1) Download Tweak UI for XP and check disable balloon tips, then check enable balloon tips and restart.
    2) Go to the good old registry:

The Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft
    WindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced

Export the key to back it up. Look on the right pane for the value "Enable Balloon Tips." It may or may not be there in your system. "EnableBalloonTips"=DWORD:00000001 (1 to enable, 0 to disable). If not, create a new DWORD value and set it to 1. If it's there, then set it to 1. Quit regedit and reboot.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Frank--

Let me know if this helps--I think what you're talking about are the balloon tips for the window buttons when a window is minimized to the task bar, but when you wrote "bar(tray)" I wasn't sure if you're also including the system tray/aka notification area/aka status notification area.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi SMBP

Thanks for the information I'll give it a try tonight.

The area I'm referring to is on the taskbar on the far right where the clock and a number of icons sit. If you place the cursor on the icon a small tip pops up which tells you what the program is etc.

Does that make sense

Cheers
    Dax

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Okay--you mean the notification area (system tray) and this value applies there also. For reference, the KB that documents this:
    307729: How To Disable Notification Area Baloon Tips (or Enable) in Windows XP

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hope you're not misunderstanding the question. He's referring to an oft discussed problem that the tooltips CAN'T be seen because they "partially hide" behind the task bar. There were a number of threads on this in this forum and I don't think anyone was ever able to come up with a "fix" other than rebooting. I for one, becamse convinced that it has something to do with screensaver. Ever since I turned OFF any screensaver and have my monitor "power off" after 45 minutes, using Power Options in Control Panel, the disappearing act has STOPPED and it has been a long time now. Go figger!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I remember now Al--those threads never did come with a resolution did they? It well be the screensaver, but I wouldn't want to do the tradeoff. I use Webshots a lot and like the variety, the free price and the fact they add to it all the time. It was my hope/theory that using the regedit that displays or hides them might refresh displaying. I have a situation where are usually fully displayed, but sometimes a little bit hidden but it's because I have added a toolbar to also become a search bar and a toolbar called Dave's Quick Search Taskbar Toolbar Deskbar so I can do all kinds of searches--google and scores of others, from my desktop. The tooltips display fine now, but for a while last night they were partial. Also when I print PDF's from the new Adobe 6 Reader, the print dialogue box is so big I have to pull it down.

But I don't really need to know the names of my reduced windows which are labled anyway with menus or the buttons themselves--and I only let a couple or so things show in my notification area/system tray, and I've got the Norton symbols down by now. If I turn on another special program and it sits down there while it's on, it has it's own iconnette, and a right click labels it's functions.

That's why when you search for balloon tips/notification area all of the links to that regedit are labled "how to turn balloon tips off."

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi folks. I believe that logging off then back on or switching users or ending task on explorer.exe then New Process > explorer.exe in task manager are the immediate work-arounds for that XP bug.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Telo--

I'm not being picky, but I think after End Process you meant to type >Applications Tab>New Task>Explorer.exe which is a nice move that helps me out of a number of "program not responding" impending crashes.

SMBP

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks SMBP. I should have at least looked in the Task Manager before typing my response. Both the "End Process" for explorer.exe and the File > New Task (explorer.exe) part can be also be done on the Processes tab.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the tip Telo--it's a good one. I had used this in another context to stop a freeze and prevent a crash by actually opening up another explorer--from TimOz.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Have to add my 2 cents worth here. I had the same problem and it disappeared and has never returned for about a year now. All I ended up doing was as in Big Al's response above and that was to turn off the screen saver. I went to to powering down the screen, again as Al has said. Worked for me with XPP.
    H Lewton