Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

File Transfer Delay

The problem presents as very very slow performance when loading or saving files on the server. After chasing the problem around for months we've determined that, in our example scenario using a 23MB txt file in Notepad, when opening the file there is network activity sufficient to transfer the file to the station (~5 sec). This is followed by a ~15-20 second period that shows notepad.exe using all available processor. (On dual processor systems, notepad.exe will use one entire processor.) Only after notepad.exe returns to normal cpu usage does cursor control return to the notepad application. When saving this same file, the network activity follows the 15-20 second period of cpu monopolization, rather then preceding it.
    We see the same behavior on dual processor Dell Precision Workstation systems using Win2K Pro and on a Dell laptop running WinXP.

The server is Win 2000.

Most users do not experience this problem.

It does not matter what user's credentials are used to authenticate to the network share.

***It only happens to three of my CAD users when they are logged into the station, regardless of the account used to authenticate to the network share. ***

We deleted these user's profiles and created new ones from scratch. This worked for a while but the problem returned after a number of weeks.

The systems are patched and have been reinstalled from scratch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? Any clues as to what the problem might be? Any notions at all will be greatly appreciated.

Note: The real issue on these systems is, of course, not notepad. The CAD system that is the primary purpose of these machines uses such a complex file structure that I'm sure it requires pixies or divine intervention or both to function properly. I don't have to tell anyone here what problems they pose for problem determination!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: File Transfer Delay

It seems like this might be swap file activity. How much memory is on each system? What other apps are open? How bad is the file fragmentation locally?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

I can see how you might think that and it's a good idea, but these systems have a gig of RDRAM and SCSI drives that are less than 20% full. In any case, the problem does not occur if anyone besides these users are using their computers.

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks

Are you saying that someone logging onto the same workstation as a different user is accessing the same file and getting different results?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Yup! Someone else will pull down and save the same file to the same location. Boom! Every time.

Wierd, huh? I'm trying to find that SetDelay30SecEnable registry key. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks

Are there any policy limitations set for different users? Are there different hardware profiles setup?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

No to both questions.

Administrator
    Thanks

Do all the users start all the same background runs & services? Particularly anti-virus.

JP

Lounger
    Thanks

They sure do. I've been banging my head against this for months. I even had them start brand new profiles and the problem returned in a matter of weeks. I was so happy for a while there, too. Oh well.

Thanks

Does it make any difference if the test is run immediately after a re-boot?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Before retirement, I worked on CAD systems. Several were VERY slow using a network. These were using linked files for the assemblies and installations. What CAD software and versions are being used? Also these CAD programs seemed to scramble the local hard drive that we did a "Defrag" at lunch and over night every day. We were using NT 4.0 on Dell machines and a NT Network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

No difference at all.

Lounger
    Thanks

We're using a product called Inventor. I'll check the fragmentation levels but that still leaves the problem of why it's only a problem with some users and not others.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You stated above "It only happens to three of my CAD users when they are logged into the station" so I took it to mean that these were the systems you are having the problems.
    Are the other systems also running the same CAD program? And what is different in the hardware on these other machines? NO two machines are the same, even if from the same shipment from the same OEM.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

It only happens with these users, but it does follow them to different machines. Other users on these same machines do not have the problem. I'm Sorry I was unclear on this point.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast