New Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate Appointments - PalmIII -> Outlook 2000

I have a client who is synch'ing a Palm III with Outlook 2K - he synch's between two separate network connected workstns. Recently he has found that he is getting several instances of the same appointment - and there "appears" to be no difference between each occurrence of the appointment.

The only fix I know, is to manually delete the redundant appointments, purge the Palm and resynch. Can anyone offer explanation of cause and possible solution?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Appointments - PalmIII -> Outlook 2000

There is a basic rule when synching. It is a mathematical rule, not a Palm rule. The rule is A single client should not be synched with multiple servers.

The palm is a client and the outlook workstations are hosts. The Palm OS uses hidden fields to assist in synching. The difference between the duplicate records is in the hidden field.

There are two solutions.
    1. stop violating the rule and sync only with one of the stations
    2. there is a utility called "undupe" or something available from the Palm shareware sites. The demo version only finds the dupes. The registered version lets you delete them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Art - synching between 2 different hosts is a recipe for disaster. The utility that he speaks of is called Undupe It, $7.95 shareware available at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?sid=78364720010314001806&prodID=7 56>http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftw...1806&prodID=756</A>.

The easier (and cheaper) way to eliminate the duplicate entires is to pick the ONE host that has the best data, and customize the synching action so that desktop overwrites the handheld (not by default, but for one hotsync only). This way you've got the correct data and don't have to worry whether the hidden fields cause Undupe It any problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your replies, Keely and artAlexion. By "host" I'm assuming you mean Exchange Server. My client is synch'ing to the same Outlook mailbox, but from different workstations - or are you in fact suggesting that there is a danger in synch'ing a Palm between different PCs on the same network. I'm aware of many clients who do the same (synch between two or more workstations, which connect to the same mailbox) without the replication of appointments. [My clients are politicians who have an office in Canberra and one in their home state]. I will certainly check out the utility you recommended

Thank you again for your reply

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If it is really the *-=SAME=-* data, your client should not be having the problem. I suspect that in some way that it is not.

I know that this problem occurs frequently with users of a legal case managment package called TimeMatters. TimeMatters (TMW) has two synch modes. It allows you to synch two TMW databases so that the data is the same. It also allows you to sync with the Palm. Many TMW users think that they can sync their Palms with different TMW workstations because the workstations are themselves sync'ed. But, though sync'ed, there is sufficient difference between the databases so that the Palm sees the data differently. They get the same duplicate record problem.

My understanding is that the Palm device keeps track of each different computer that it is sync'ed to, and differentiates between them. You may know that the target data is the same, but the Palm presumes that it is different.

If your client has no choice but to use both computers to sync, UnDupeIt seems to be her solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another idea, should this be feasible, is to try the newish <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.palm.com/products/accessories/enterprise/server.html>Palm Hotsync Server</A>, which is designed specifically to allow syncing to Exchange Servers safely independent of actual Workstations. The data is managed centrally, which sounds to me like it would take care of any possible hidden field changes. I have no direct experience with this product or seen it in action, but it might be something to look into.

Another idea is to check the times of the appointments being duplicated - is there a time difference between the two locations where the user is trying to sync? If the time on the Palm is not being changed accordingly, this may be the source of the problem. Just an idea!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are truely dealing with the same (as opposed to identical) data, the Server product should solve your problem. If it is overkill try using Network Sync features that you already have rather than the local/direct serial sync that is the default.