New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Formula (97 SR-2 (k))

My workbook has multiple work sheets - 5. Each work sheet has publisher info (1 column, but 7 publisher names) and whether the report is "Active" or "Issued" (another column). Some work sheets have 400+ reports listed. On the summary tab, I need to find a formula that tells me how many reports Jones has that are active, how many Smith has that are issued, etc. I know there are plenty of better ways to do, but this spreadsheet is a hand-me-down from someone who left the company and the bosses want to keep it. I tried a COUNTIF and SUMIF and a SUM with nested IF statements, but no luck. But I'm getting tired of sorting 5 work sheets 7 different ways. Thanks

Thanks

Re: Excel Formula (97 SR-2 (k))

My suggestion combine them into 1 big sheet and then do a pivot table on all the data.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

That is a great idea, with one big but(t) in front of it - Upper management. They like the way the spreadsheet is set up and they don't want to change.

Thanks

In those cases I would still do it, add datafilters and "other" bells and whistles and SHOW them a better way.

The alternative is a fair amount of coding or some megaformulas, most likely arrays and such. We would need more details to write them.

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

.. or as an alternate with Steve's approach, let upper management keep their separate worksheets, but add a worksheet that combines them all and run your metaanalyses on it.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

The only problem with this approach is keeping the duplicates "synced" up so they are both always up-to-date. I have found with databases setup as essentially identical spreadsheets that putting them together and using data - autofilter so that they can STILL EASILY get it to look like the way they are used to PLUS has the added bonus of MUCH MUCH simpler analysis is a real win-win.

Data autoFilter seems (in my experience) intuitive enough that even the "pointy-haired bosses" can easily understand how to do it!

Steve