5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

overly ambitious query (Access 2000 Win 2000 SR-1)

I have a rather large form with a bunch of information on it that is accessed via ASP on a webpage, with the data stored and read from ACCESS. After a lot of work I managed to get the form to read from the db and display in a web form for editing any and all parts of the form. Now I set up an UPDATE SQL command to send any changes back to the row in question.

Unfortunately, when I run it I get this:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Too many fields defined.

Question: does this indicate an intrinsic limit with ACCESS using an UPDATE query? The query contains 163 pairs of data (datafield names and the associated values). Is this too much for the poor old JET engine? And if so, what is the limit?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: overly ambitious query (Access 2000 Win 2000 SR-1)

A query can contain up to 255 fields, but the combined size of all fields must not exceed 2,000 bytes.

I assume that you have ruled out the possibility that you are trying to fit 163 values while only 162 fields actually exist in the table...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: overly ambitious query (Access 2000 Win 2000 SR-1)

according the an MSKB article, UPDATES can only contain 127 fields, which should explain the problem. If you're interested, you can vid the article here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;154070

as to your other suggestion, I'd expect to get a syntax error if I was doing that. but it's not much of a possibility as the data fields I am working with were originally read into the form from the Access table and I didn't add anything but may have somewhere in the forest of html editing missed a few.

anyhow I am working on trying to spread the UPDATE operation out in chunks.