3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt Pagefile

On a Win 2000 SP2 stand-alone machine I have a 'Catch 22' situation. On Boot I get a message that the page file is 'missing, corrupt, or too small - go to My Computer Properties and enlarge it' Even in Safe Mode, I cannot get a boot - just this message looping over and over.

Is there a way of fixing this so I can get my machine back?
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt Pagefile

You can't get to save mode by using F8 key?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes but even in safe mode, I get the same message - it just takes longer to get there
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dpollock--

Try these for reference--the ones for XP apply to Win 2K as well:

Page File Problems and Adjustment KBs:

315270: Error Message: Your System Has No Page File or Page File is Too Small
    259151: Paging File Functionality Requires System Account Permissions and Proper Size
    314482: How To Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery
    308417: How To Set Performance Options in Windows XP
    307973: How To Configure System Failure and Recovery Options in Windows
    314105: How to Move the Windows Default Paging File and Print Spooler to a Different Hard Disk

Paging File Articles Windows 2000 Resource Kit

Getting Back to Windows to Adjust Your Pagefile:

To get back to Windows so that you can do any corrections or adjustments to your paging file, or in case you need to move it to get more free space on a partition. You can adjust your page file size to see which size performs optimally for your system. You may want to move your page file to another partition if you have one, and then defrag the page file either with or without a 3rd party utility to do this--you don't need one.

If you are having trouble booting you can try Last Known Good configuration. I prefer Booting into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt if you can, and then running System Restore over LKG which is only updated when you reboot:
    Boot into Safe Mode with A Command Prompt:

1) At the dos prompt type 1) "cd.." 2) "cd.." or any commands that will get you to C:>
    2) Type one of either these two commands: "cd windowssystem32restore" then at the prompt that follows type "rstrui.exe" or type "%systemroot%system32restorerstrui.exe" and use System Restore to get up to Windows. (Either a back slash or forward slash will work with these commands.)

Ref: 30449: How To: Start the System Restore Tool from a Command Prompt in Windows XP (Works for Windows 2000

SMBP