Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Manual sorting (XP)

I just read the latest WOW (#8.25) on the subject of sorting. It's a very good article, and I learned a lot from it. However, I hit a snag on the paragraph on manual sorting. That part read as follows:

There's still an easy way to move paragraphs or list items up and down and it's an old favorite of Woody's Watch readers. Select any block of text or item in a list then press Alt + an up or down arrow key. This will move your selection up and down the document, list or table.

I tried that and don't get that result. I created a small table (one column, nine rows) and selected an item in one of the middle rows. When I press ALT + up or down arrow, all that happens is that the cursor moves first to the right end of the current row (just outside the right border), then up (or down) to the next row. Am I missing something?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Manual sorting (XP)

I can't remember if it was different in previous versions of Word, but you're correct. Alt+Up and Alt+Down don't move text in Word 2002. Instead, use Shift+Alt+Up and Shift+Alt+Down.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'll be...! Thanks, Hans!

By your leave, I'll drop a note to Woody and suggest he address this point in a later issue of WOW.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sure, go ahead. Perhaps you'll even get mentioned in WOW!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans:
    It's been Alt+Shift+Up or Dwn arrow as far back as Word 6. It also moves table rows.
    Cheers,