jpfraser

MSWord to to Frontpage

I am looking for the best way to insert a MS word doc into a frontage page htm file so that in includes the necessary formating in other words maintains the look of the orginal Word doc.

Thanks

Re: MSWord to to Frontpage

My favourite method is to use insert, file select the word doc and whammo it converts to HTML.
    Now for the bad part.
    Stupidly, FrontPage does not convert your Heading styles to the corresponding HTML headings (WordPerfect does!). In fact the whole document is probably not very well formatted from a classic HTML point of view. So you will need to go through the document and painstakingly reformat it with headings, etc. Unfortunately, this assumes that the user understands HTML, which many people do not. (that is why they bought FP) So, what we get are badly formatted HTML docs.
    Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts here. Learn about HTML and then apply it to your word doc. If I'm working a big project, I'll often write macros in word (not quite up to FP VBA yet) and start my formatting there.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Word2000 will "SaveAs" to a type of HTML laced up with proprietary Office formatting tags. There is an export tool available from MS that exports lighter weight HTML, but it's still pretty messy stuff. If you prefer fidelity over compatibility, either of these options should "work." It seemed easier in Word97...

pschroder

What if you have to have minimal code attached to your frontpage file and save it as *.ASP to use in another application afterwards? Is there a simple, painless way to preserve styles for headings etc?

hfindlay

Most FP methods yield XHTML. To get straight HTML from Word to FP:
    - In FrontPage:
    Cut/copy Word text > Paste Special > Normal Paragraphs
    - In FrontPage:
    Cut/copy Word icon, or Drag-and-drop Word icon, or Insert > File

carolmax

When wanting to preserve formatting from Word, I simply copy the text in Word & paste it directly into the FP page. This preserves all formatting.
    I am using Word & FP 2K, I also used this method with Word 97 & FP 98.
    Some additional info: To strip the formatting of text in FP, select the text, Format, Remove Formatting. You can then apply styles as desired, without any retained formatting interfering.
    This can be tedious at times, as for reasons unknown to me, even after removing formatting, it does sometimes retain some formatting that is difficult to remove. Usually can be solved by digging through HTML.
    Simple solution! Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

In FP2002, use the "insert file" function - it will strip all unneeded formatting from a Word document, bringing it into FrontPage with just the minimal amount of tags. This new feature is especially cool when important a spreadsheet (if you desire an unformatted table).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know this thread is getting old --- but thought I'd add that the method of "Insert file" function works in FP2000 also --- which is what I've been looking for ... as opposed to the original poster I wanted Tables in Word to be imported into FP WITHOUT all the garbage HTML code that gets included ... mostly so that the Tables I create directly with FP look the same as those I don't create in FP.

Thanks.