New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing My Computer and Internet Explorer (XP/ ?)

I have run Norton and have "no viruses" indicated. However, anytime I try to open Windows Explorer, My Computer, Internet Explorer, and Start/ Settings/ Control Panel...I get the message that either Win Explorer or IE must close (Huh? It was never open?). I have AOL and IE powers that; I can get to My Computer via Run/ browse... but does anyone know what is going on?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Missing My Computer and Internet Explorer (XP/ ?)

When did this problem start? If it just happened in the last few days and you haven't installed any new Software. I would suggest you use the System Restore Function, and go back in time just before the problem started. It has worked for me many times. Thats what it's for. You can find System Restore under, Start, All Programs, Accessories, and then Click on System Tools and then click System Restore and click Create A Restore Point and then pick a Date { Restorable Dates Are Highlighted}

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If system restore fixes; problem solved. But if it doesn't, could you paste the exact error message with a number--this will help find a cure. If one isn't showing up during the crash, go to Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and see if you can find one under System or Application corresponding to the time. What happens when you try this tip from Kelly's XP?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Explorer Crashes - No Desktop Icons and/or Start Button

Control/Alt/Delete - When the Windows Task Manager dialog box appears, select the File menu and then New Task (Run). When the Create New Task dialog box appears, type in Explorer and press the OK button. Windows Explorer should restart complete with the Start button.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

See 255758: Error Message: Explorer.exe has Generated Errors and Will Close
    320563:Windows Explorer Quits When You Used My Computer

Have you run Norton Clean Sweep in Norton System Works by any chance? Because if you have, one of the fixes for this is to uninstall it. Using any Kodak software?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Teacher 444--

Are you getting separate error messages that say IE will close and Win Explorer will close at different times? Are you interchanging the two names by accident, and if whichever error messages you're getting have a number or any other information, I'd sure appreciate seeing it.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have or have you run Norton Clean Sweep which is part of Norton System Works?

SMBP

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have used Norton CleanSweep but this was installed and used AFTER the problem arose. When I tried to uninstall, I couldn't get to the Windows Control panel.

I went to the Windows Task Manager and followed the instructions about setting up the new task. Unfortunately, no change resulted after trying this!

The puzzling thing to me: I can reach "My Computer" through the RUN menu...why is it malfunctioning from other sources?

Finally: I have been unable to reach the recycle bin. Any tips on what to type into "Run" in order to get there? I tried "browse" but the "my computer " source did not have it...and entering "recycle" (and many other related entries) did not work, either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

From: Teacher 444/ The following message box comes up when I try to go to Windows Explorer, My Computer, or Start/ Settings/ Control Panel:
    Error message: Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

I neglected to mention that I had tried System Restore. No luck.

I will try some of the other suggestions that were mentioned.

By the way, when I am on AOL, minimize it, then double click on IE, I get the same error message as above/ only substitute IE for WinExplor.

I am using WinXP Home.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Put your WinXp CD in and run {sfc /scannow}. Go to Run, type sfc /scannow { make sure you leave a space between sfc and / } and hit OK. Once it starts the scan you might have to hit OK several times as it scans for missing files. Don't know why it does that, but ever since I put my Installation files on my Hard Drive sfc doesn't have me hitting OK so many times. If that doesn't work you can run WinXP CD and use the Upgrade Option and it will load XP over your existing and replace any missing files and such, and you won't lose any files are setting are anything. Pretty much just does a TuneUP. I have had to do it a few times and it always fixed my problems. Much easier then doing a Clean Install and having to reload all your Drivers and Programs and Settings. It's as close to a Clean install you can do without having to reload everything.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It might behoove you to run CHKDSK on the hard drive and see if any errors are corrected. I'd also look into cleaning out temp folders and getting rid of the detritus that may have collected.

Also, consider using MSCONFIG to disable startup items and see if the problem persists. It's likely due to some additional piece of software interfering with your Windows installation.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Teacher--

I strongly second Cowboy's advice to run SFC. It repairs a lot of problems with XP and/or IE. I would uninstall Norton Clean Sweep no matter when you ran it. The way to do this is just to uninstall Norton System Works whichever flavor you have because NCS is a component of all of them. Then reinstall Norton System works. Whenever the chronology of running it, get rid of Norton Clean Sweep because it is well documented to cause the problem you're having on the MSKB and numerous threads. Then reinstall it if you want it.

Get Back Your Recycle Bin:

Often Spyware can corrupt the recycle bin by corrupting the info2 file. Run Spybot and Adaware. Links to these are in numerous threads and Software Finds.

Go to Kelly's Tweaks Line 64: Right Pane: Regedit to Repair or Replace Recycle Bin (Automatic)

"What do I type in the run box to get to the Recycle Bin?" (From Kelly's XP):

Go to XP A to Z: Look Under "R" for Recycle Bin for this.

1) Updating to XP SP1 may help. I don't know if you have it or not.
    2) See 297760: Error Message: The Recycle Bin on C: is Corrupt or Invalid
    3) The Recycle Bin is located in the Folder C:Recycled . Show All Hidden Files. Windows Explorer or My Computer>Tools>Folders>Hide Hidden Windows Files (Take Check Out). Locate the Recycle Bin and Drag where you want.

A patch is contained in these KB's:

136517: How the Recycle Bin Stores Files
    283359: Positioning the Recycle Bin Icon in Win XP
    297760: Recycle Bin on Whatever Drive is Corrupt/Invalid
    168570: Files Don't Show Up in Recycle Bin When Deleted
    297760: Error: The Recycle Bin on C: (or Whichever Drive) is Corrupt or Invalid...

Hope this helps.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Mark's reminders, which should be done regularly, try running "SFC" system file checker as well. Put in your XP CD, and at the dos prompt type "sfc /scannow" and you may have to hit retry to boost it along. There's a space between "sfc" and the forward slash. I deleted my original regedit to get back the recycle bin, but if you want to go that route here's one more straight forward:
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    [Start] [Run] [Regedit]
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionExplorerBitBucket
    Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.
    Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: NukeOnDelete
    Setting for Value Data: [0 = Use Recycle Bin / 1 = Permanently Delete]
    Exit Registry and Reboot

It's easy to forget, but just doing some simple maintenance (and you may well have done this recently) may go a long way toward fixing some of these problems. Also run Spybot and Ad Aware as well. If you are running Norton System Works, you also have something analagous to the recycle bin called the Norton Unerase Wizard.

SMBP