Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partitioning my hard drive (WinXP)

Hi,

I'd like to partition my new laptop's hard drive into C: and D:.

In short, how do I do this?

First, will I lose all my data? If so, how do I restore it?

Second, what program do you recommend? Doesn't Windows XP come with something called "diskpart"? Do you think diskpart is sufficient? Or should I go with the industry-standard Partition Magic--which I can buy for $25.50?

Finally, would someone recommend a good article describing partitioning?

Note: I'm unsure whether I'll be using Win XP Home or Pro; it depends on the answer to http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...p;o=0&fpart.

Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Partitioning my hard drive (WinXP)

Jonathan--

If you don't use a third party program like System Commander or Partition Magic, and use the native disk management program, you will erase the the entire contents of your hard drive. The inhouse program for disk management in Windows XP is discussed pretty well in "Help and Support" and is best suited for creating partitions on new or empty hard drives. You can get to Disk Management by going to the run box and typing in "dskmgmt.msc" or Performance and Maintainance>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management. It has a comprehensive Help.

Ditto for FDISK, a dos utility that can also do this. ( An old wive's tale is that FDISK means you can't recover material from a hard drive, and with the right tools you sure can, and from a lot more erasures of hard drives but that's another discussion, and they aren't in the hands of most of us.) MIT has a couple Computer Science Ph.D. candidates assigned to a very active program doing extensive research on this recovery.
    309000: How to Use Disk Management to Configure Basic Disks in Windows XP
    30824: How to Use Disk Management to Configure Dyanmic Disks in Windows XP

I recommend that you try either Partition Magic--you can download and try it, and experience it but you won't be able to implement any changes with the trialware. It's around $60-70 on the web, and $30 at a swap meet. Partition Commander 8 is another very popular 3rd parth product. There are many people who have them both or have had them both and like one or the other.

There are videos and help on site and it has clear help on how to use it. It won't erase your current material, and that's the advantage of using a third party rather than Native Disk Management in Windows XP.

DiskPart.exe is a text-mode command interpreter that is separate from the Windows XP command prompt. It allows you to manage fixed disks and volumes by using scripts or direct input. It prepares hard disks and divides them into two or more partitions. It will erase any drive you attempt to repartition. You can run Diskpart command from the Recovery console as well. You aren't looking for Diskpart here.

PC World Article: How To Partition Your Hard Drive
    How To Partition Hard Drive Tech TV

SMBP

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've "sworn by" Partition Magic for years. AND, I've always thought that the PowerQuest documentation and available "white papers" on their web were pretty good reading on the subject of partitioning. I'd say PM is an excellent choice at $26 bucks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

And so would an awfully lot of people who could use whatever they want. They have videos and white papers, instructions on their site and pretty clear Help as well. There is a relatively rare glitch with PM 6, 7, 8 and the Windows installer and PM's install shield where you get an error trying to get it installed no matter what you do, and they haven't found a fix for--but few people will run into that. I just grabbed the brass ring with 8 and had to copy it to my hard drive from Windows Explorer, but it works fine.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! Those bottom 2 articles were exactly what I needed!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

"Doesn't Windows XP come with something called "diskpart"? Do you think diskpart is sufficient?"
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

What Does the Diskpart Command Do In Windows XP?

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred Langa's latest newsletter has a link to his very comprehensive article on backups, partitioning, etc.: http://www.langa.com/backups/backups.htm

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for link Dennis.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Useful; thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hope this thread is still alive and well!

I just purchased PM8 and attempted to resize a partition under XP Home. I kept getting error 1513, checked PM's site for help, followed the suggestions (including downloading the patch to "upgrade" to 8.01)...all no help. I sent an email to their support site and of course received no response. A brief Google scan reveals others who have encountered a similar issue and non-response.

I'm curious if others have encountered and resolved the same issue.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have used PM8.0 to resize and had no problems. WinXP Pro.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you already looked, I'm not gonna repeat your visit to PQ's site. I too have used PM 8.0 without problems, but let me say that many of the times that PQ's products have difficulty, it's a "memory" issue. I would recommend you go to your Tray and shutdown as many elements as you can and then try again. Also, before you try something like re-partitioning, be sure you've run a CHKDSK /F to make sure the drive has no errors. I've had THAT problem bite me with their products once or twice. I really don't know if running a defrag will help, but you do know that the space "on the right" needs to be empty in order to repartition, don't you? You could check that out, just to be sure. Keep us posted on your progress.....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've used an earlier version of PQ (5.0?) with great success and have sung its praises. This version, however, leaves me with a sour taste. The error reporting is poor, the "Help" screens even less helpful, and their non-response is criminal.

In my case, my laptop is only a few months old and, outside of some jpegs of my son and an installation of Office 2000, there is plenty of space on the pc. There's a half-gig of memory and I doubt that it is the cause, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to try again after unloading some of the background tasks the default installation loads at startup. I have only one partition; my first step was an attempt to resize it smaller so I could create a Win XP Pro partition to install the .Net platform. The attempt to resize the partition failed with the error 1513 I reported. CHKDSK without /f reports no errors, as does PM's own "Check for Errors" utility. An attempt to run CHKDSK with the /f switch fails, reporting that "some process" is preventing CHKDSK from locking the disk, or some such nonsense. Still, both utilities report no disk errors.

A Google search for this error turned up others with the same experience and same non-response from PM. Outside of a class-action lawsuit my only alternative seems to never purchase their software again (for myself or my many clients) and to try the competition.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't wanna sound like a schlock for PowerQuest, 'cause I've had as many problems as the next fella, but..... First of all, when you run Chkdsk in WinXP on a boot drive, you WILL have to let it reboot to finish the /F part. It's worth trying, since I've had Chkdsk or Scandisk find errors that PQ software didn't discover. My only other question, and then I'll let you alone, since you say you have a laptop that's fairly new. Is it possible that the machine's hard drive has some "special" partitioning put there by the manufacturer that could be giving PM 8 a problem? Since your post, I've downloaded the 8.01 patch and done some work today on two desktop machines without incident. Which reminds me to also suggest, since I did so on one of my machines, have you tried making the PM floppy disks and running from them? I did that on my other machine and it worked OK. Enuf, I'll leave you alone now.....

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Some laptops do NOT like to be resized. I know my Sony's do not. It seems to be related to the "OEM Restore" CDs that are used to rebuild your system. They will inturn resize things again to the OEM's requirements.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast