Thanks

Re: Have replies sent to: (XP)

Look in Tools > E-mail Accounts at the reply address for each account. Prior to XP, for example with Outlook 2000 in Internet Mail Only (IMO) mode, Outlook would set up your reply using the information for the account into which the mail was initially received. I'm not 100% certain what 2002 does, but that's my best guess.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Jon_Rick on 12-Jul-03 15:57. )</P>By default, Outlook XP leaves the "Reply E-mail" field in Tools | E-mail Accounts | View or change existing e-mail accounts | b@b.com | Change | More Settings blank.

Specificing b@b.com (in b@b.com's account) doesn't do the trick...

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The purpose of Reply E-mail is to substitute a different e-mail address than the address used in the User data field so that replies got to a different address. It won't solve this problem.

To understand your problem I created my account on my wife's machine via in Tools | E-Mail accounts | New. The test e-mail returns from me at my address to me at my address when I test it. I sent test messages from me and from her on the same machine, and I'm unable to duplicate your problem. XP on her machine seems to be able to discriminate between reply address sources. I'll mess with it some more to see if I can find out what the problem may be. The only thing I can think to check is kinda obvious: in the main e-mail account setup dialog, make sure that you did not mistakenly use the "a@a" account server information in your "b@b" account server data.

In the meantime, you may have to keep selecting the account to use from the "Accounts" drop down that appears in a new or reply message window.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks so much for taking the time to replicate my problem! But, did you replicate it exactly as I described?

From what I can tell, you used 2, not 3, e-mail addresses. And you didn't specify which one is the default.

So, allow me to clarify my problem:

C e-mails B.
    B replies to C.
    C's reply is automatically addressed to A, the default account, instead of B, the sender.

Note: my reason for this whole thing is that I want no trace of a connection between A and B.

Thanks again!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have replies sent to: (XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Jon_Rick on 14-Jul-03 00:35. Clarified problem.)</P>Hi there,

I have 2 e-mail accounts in my PST.

a@a.com is the default account.

Now, say I receive an e-mail at my 2d e-mail account, b@b.com, from another user (say c@c.com). I simply click reply and then send.

But, when c@c.com replies to b@b.com's e-mail, c@c.com's reply, by default, will go to a@a.com, my default account, instead of the sender, b@b.com.

Note: in b@b.com's reply, if I click the Options button above the e-mail -- which I don't -- and click the check box for "Have replies sent to:"the account that appears is the default one, a@a.com -- not the sender of the e-mail, b@b.com...

1. Can anyone replicate this problem?

2. Without changing the "Have replies sent to:" to b@b.com for every message I send from b@b.com, or changing my default account from a@a.com to b@b.com, is there any way that when c@c.com replies as above, c@c.com's default reply address will be b@b.com, as it should, and not a@a.com?

Thanks so much! (I know this is quite complicated!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jonathan, taking your simple example:
    When B replies to C are you able to drop down the "Accounts" list box and choose the "B" account?
    On my XP installation there is also an informatory message just above the composition area which says something like "This message will be sent via <account name>" - do you have such a message and does is indicate the "A" account or the "B" account??
    The reason that I ask is that I have three accounts (with multiple personality disorder you are never alone) which will happily keep their correspondents to themselves, i.e.
    C e-mails B
    B replies to C
    C's reply is addressed to B and
    B's subsequent reply goes out using the B account

By the way, in each of my accounts the "Reply e-mail" setting is not blank, I have set it to the address of that account. Yes I know the help message for that field says if that field is blank that it will use the sending account, but help text is not always 100% reliable - you might want to try that possibility if only to eliminate it as the culprit.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I used only two accounts, and set one as default. It should have been, and appeared to be, enough to see if Outlook is aware of the originating account. However, I admit I still may not understand your issue.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions.

1. C e-mails B. When B replies to C, yes, there is that message just above the composition area: "This message will be sent via b@b.com."

2. I just specified, for both my accounts, the "Reply e-mail" in Tools | E-mail Accounts | More Settings. And... I think it worked!

Thanks so much; I hugely appreciate it, Ian!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jonathan

After seeing your reply I thought I'd try eliminating the "Reply e-mail" address in one of my accounts to see if your problem would appear. It didn't!

That set me to thinking about a problem that I had with a contact in my address book that was corrupt. Whenever I tried to send to that contact Outlook would fail and then it would try to send the e-mail using each of my other two accounts. When those failed as well I would eventually get a message in the inbox saying that Outlook could not send the message using any of my accounts. Is it possible that your sending configuration was not working properly and Outlook was dropping back to the other account to send and, because no "reply e-mail" was set, that replies would be sent to that other account? This would occur if either your SMTP settings were incorrect or your mail host was having problems. Fix the sending problem and your apparent "bug" goes away.

The relevance to your situation is that if you want there to never be evidence of a connection between your alter egos then you need to be darn sure that Outlook won't try to be "helpful" in instances where it has difficulty sending from one account and then tries to use the other instead.

Hope that makes sense...