New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 Corruption (?) On Network

Hi

I posted this question recently on a different forum and got no response...but I can't be the only one having this problem!

My problem occurs with nearly every networked Access 97 database. They sit on NT 4.0 Server and are split into front end / back end databases, with front end on users individual pc's. All have been secured w/ userid and password.

The programs range in size from several hundred records to 100,000 + records.

The problem: user is entering data or doing lookups and closes the program. The next time they try to open program or retrieve data they get the dreaded "cannot execute command...." message when they try to open a data entry form. Or they get the "unrecognized database format" error..... Meanwhile, other users who have not shut down their pc can continue to use the program, but once they exit program and try to log back in, same message appears.

I know the messages are due to the fact that the linked tables cannot be opened. If i try to open the linked tables database directly I receive message "...database needs to be repaired....".

In researching MS Knowledge Base, they give some solutions which are mostly having the user do things a certain way (don't shut off pc while program is open, ..etc). Which we know doesn't always happen! (To be fair to users, sometimes their pc locks up and they have no choice but to power down!)

MS also states to compact db often....which i am doing and still having these problems.

Since it seems to occur fairly regularly, I have devised a way to repair the backend database so it frees up or unsets whatever is keeping database from being viewed by running code from a command button to do a repair (even though the database really isn't corrupt). It's not elegant, but it works...

Has this or is this happening to others out there? If so, how do/did you handle it?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 Corruption (?) On Network

You need to get everyone out of the database the minute the error occurs. Train your users to let you know immediately, then have the network administrator send a message to all users telling them to get out of the application. Then do your compact and repair.

This isn't Access so much as it's a network issue. I've seen an analagous thing happen with Excel where crashing when you were writing to a spreadsheet leaves a file but wipes out its contents. If this occurs fairly regularly, you need to do some investigation to try and track down which user or which machine is causing the problem. It isn't necessarily anything the user does. Sometimes a network card can wreak this kind of havoc, so explore all possibilities.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

Thank you for the reply!

Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,
    Do you think this is basically the same answer ("This isn't Access so much as it's a network issue.") you would give to my <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=26319>questi on</A>?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It didn't sound like it. The current thread relates to something I've seen myself with Access on a network when a single user has a problem that affects other users. What you described was something I've never seen, and I don't see any way to have records that were missing a primary key except through table corruption unless I missed something in your description.
    Charlotte