2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting names (Access 2K SR1a)

(Subject edited by Hansv - "Access 2K" was not very distinctive)

Howdy all. I'm using A2K with SR1a for a database listing names and contact info for my Christmas list. I have it set to sort by last name, but the autonumber function causes the list to sort and print out in Word 2K by the autonumber field, instead of the last name field. A2K won't let me edit the autonumber field to make the autonumber and last name fields correspond to each other. Do I need to eliminate the autonumber field, or can I do something else?? Thanks in advance,
    Mike.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting names (Access 2K SR1a)

There are several things you can do:

1. Create a query based on the table, and sort it by last name. Use the query to get your data into Word.
    2. If you use mail merge (with the catalog option) to get the data into Word, you can specify the sort order in the query options.
    3. If you have imported the name list into a table in Word, you can use Table | Sort... to sort the data by last name.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks, Hans. I use mail merge to get the info into Word for the address labels, but I have yet to get it to sort, and print out by last name (in the correct order anyway - there's 3 pages of address labels in the Word doc). I'm not sure why the sequence keeps getting fouled up, but it concerns the autonumber field, evidently. I've not done much work in Access, other than a few databases, so I'm not very knowledgeable about its many functions. Possibly my sorting problems in Word are partly due to the info that I'm merging - like names, address, city, etc. I'm also thinking that I don't actually need the autonumber function in the database, since I have it set to sort by last name, not by number. Any thoughts on that? Can I create address labels in Access itself? Thanks again for any and all help.
    Take care,
    Mike.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Mike,

Having an AutoNumber field as primary key in a table is usually a good idea, so I wouldn't remove it. Have you tried to create a query that sorts the addresses by last name, and to use that as data source for the merge?

And yes, it is possible to create address labels in Access itself. Click on Reports in the left pane of the database window, then on New at the top of the database window, and select Label Wizard in the dialog that appears (see screen shot). The Wizard will ask you which field(s) to sort by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (20.8 KB, 0 views)