New Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink to Windows Shortcut File (Word 2000)

I would like to hyperlink from many Word source documents to a Word destination document through a Windows shortcut file. The Windows shortcut file will always be in the same directory as the source files. I want to be able to move the directory containing the source files and shortcut file without changing the hyperlinks in the source files. When I change the shortcut target filename/filepath, I want all the source documents to hyperlink to the new target. The shortcut target can be an absolute filepath.

When I insert a hyperlink in the source files to the shortcut file, Word inserts the target filename, not the shortcut filename. If I hyperlink to the shortcut filename, Word "cannot open the specified file." Word opens the destination document if I double click the shortcut or if I File-Open the shortcut. The "hyperlink base" in the source document properties is blank.

I would appreciate any suggestions for achieving this indirect hyperlinking.

David

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlink to Windows Shortcut File (Word 2000)

Hi David:
    I don't have a direct answer for you. However, take a look at the thread surrounding <post#=261488>post 261488</post#> & the attachment. This is a way to update Includetext fields & perhaps this will either work for you & or lead you to a solution.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlink to Windows Shortcut File (Word 2000)

Hi Phil,
    Thank you very much for your response! I certainly learned a lot by reading the posts you suggested.
    After further experimentation I have found that I can successfully link to a shortcut, provided I include the shortcut file extension (.lnk or .url) in the hyperlink filename. Relative filepaths seem to work also.
    Thanks again and best regards,
    David