2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing outlook.pst between multiple computers (Office XP)

In an attempt to share the default outlook.pst between two home machines, I recently changed machine1's pst to the address of machine2's. (Note that I never have outlook open on both machines.) All seemed well until I tried to (a) press the "To..." button to set the address list for a new email, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] tried to manipulate rules via the rules wizard.

As for (a), when I press the "To..." button, I get a message saying: "The address list could not be displayed. The contacts folder associated with the address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions."

As for ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img], whenever I check off the rules for machine1, the rules for machine2 (which are identical) become unchecked (and the folder to which messages are to be distributed for that rule becomes undefined)--and vice versa.

Any ideas what's going on?

Puzzled...

Dan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing outlook.pst between multiple computers

It appears that you are stretching the envelope.

I cannot comment on your Address Book issue. On the Rules issue, however, it is the case that the full path of the *.pst file is hard coded into the file that holds your rules. This tends to cause no problem with a dual boot setup - because generally the drive names are the same for each boot. That is, E:.......*.pst means the same thing to each configuration of Outlook.

Unless, however, you have gone the extra mile and made the drive letters (as much as possible) the same for BOTH machines. That is, you have only used each letter of the alphabet ONCE for BOTH machines (as much as that is possible), your problem will continue. (It can be tricky avoiding having 2 C: drives, but....)

Please post back if I have misunderstood your setup.

HTH
    Grüße

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the ugly news. Do you know what file(s) contain the rules and the address book? Are they separate from .pst file? Do you know any good links where you can read about the various files in which Outlook stores its data?

Dan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Rules are stored in an *.rwz file - which is stored in something like [user profile]Application DataMicrosoftOutlook. I'm not altogether certain, but I believe the Address Book setting is stored in the *.fav file which is in the same folder. (It sounds like you are using Contacts as your Address Book - and thus the setting would be the absolute path to your *.pst file.) HTH
    Grüße

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's in Extend.dat then? a couple times over the last year or so, when I've saved/backed up my pst file and moved it to a new machine and put it back in, when I fire up Outlook it says something about mail being delivered to the wrong folders or something.

the last time I ad to reinstall windows, I grabbed outlook.pst, archive.pst and extend dat and put em all back after reinstalling overwriting the existing files and I didn't get that error.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Extend.dat is used to store registry extension data. Your differing treatment may have been because you were switching machines, as opposed to reinstalling. Personally, it's not one of the files I retain upon migrating. I have migrated the Rules (*.rwz) and Toolbar customisations (outcmd.dat) when there seemed to be cause. HTH
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks

On my laptop, I've changed outlook to use the folders on my desktop system. Mail send/receive works as I like, and when I look at the contacts folder, I can see all my contacts. But when I click the TO button on new mail, I get an empty list. Any ideas as to what I can do to get access to my contacts from TO?

Thanks

Where are your addresses actually stored when you access the address book on the desktop system? Are they in an Outlook Contacts folder? A separate Personal Address Book (.pab file)? Or on an Exchange Server?

(The answer might be "more than one of these," but the fix could be different for each.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Right-click on the Contacts folder, choose Properties|Outlook Address Book and make sure that "Show this file as an Outlook Address Book" is checked. HTH
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks

The addresses are in an outlook contacts folder (the one that displays when I open outlook).

Thanks unkamunka! That worked perfectly. I ended up with 2 Contacts folders, one empty, the other the desired one. I removed the empty one cuz' it was showing up first, and now everything works as expected!