Lounger
    Thanks

Spell Check (Word 2002 and Omni Page Pro 12)

I have a document scanned in Omni Page Pro 12. I selected the option to have no formatting during recognition and to copy to the clipboard. I then pasted the contents of the clipboard into Word. Unfortunately the text is somehow marked to not allow spell check. I've followed the help files, but to no avail. I was told to paste the document using Paste Special>No formatting, which works great for my next job, but now I'm stuck with over 100 pages of text that has already been formatted in Word that I cannot perform a spell check on.

Does anyone know a way (other than what is shown in the Word help files) to get the spell check option back for this document without losing the formatting?

Thanks,

Thanks

Re: Spell Check (Word 2002 and Omni Page Pro 12)

Try this: select all, then Tools>Language>Set Language and clear the "Do not check spelling or grammar" checkbox and click OK. This should not affect the formatting. Doesn't that do it?

Lounger
    Thanks

Nope.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try Tools | Options..., activate the Spelling & Grammar tab, then click the button near the bottom labeled "Check Document" or "Recheck Document" (depending on the circumstances).

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I've done that too. No change.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Teresa:
    You could try this, which is better than nothing. Make a copy (always a good move when you're going to make changes). On the copy, Ctrl+A (to select the document) & Ctrl+Spacebar (to remove character formatting). Then try to spellcheck. You may also have to remove paragraph formatting. Let's say you've spell checked the copy. Close & save it. Now do a compare between the copy & the original, so the copy is marked. Now open the origninal & merge the copy. Now all the spelling changes should be marked as revisions & you can accept them.

Note: When I tried this in Word 2000, the merge feature didn't pick up the changed formatting (which is what you wanted). You might have to play around with the tracked changes options & not mark formatting, however.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Phil. That's a neat shortcut to copying the text then pasting into a blank document using Paste Special>No formatting.

And, yes, it did work! I can perform the spell check.

I'll have to try the "compare" at another time though. I just spent the morning doing the Paste Special>No formatting and then running the spell check and reformatting the text.

Thanks, again.