New Lounger
    Thanks

Value list in Access 2000 (Access 2000)

How can I make a value list that permits the user of the database to select and save more than one choice from the value list?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Value list in Access 2000 (Access 2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Can you tell us a bit more about how and where you would like to use this value list? You wrote that you want to "save" choices from the list. What do you mean by that?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

First of all, you can't do that with a bound control. Secondly, if you are talking about saving more than 1 selection as a single field or even multiple fields in a record, then you have serious normalization problems. This should be in a child table, in which each value is stored as a record.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks. I hoped to have the database user able to select 0, 1 or more of 21 entries in a value list so that the user's multiple choices are recorded in the database. I wanted the front-end form to have a drop-down list available at that particular field, with more than one value in the list selectable so that choices are saved in the database. I am a novice Access user.

Regards
    Allen H

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Allen,

It is not possible to select more than one item in a combo box. List boxes have a MultiSelect property, but it is not so easy to store the selected values in a table. As Mark Liquorman remarked, the way to handle multiple selections is to store them as separate records in a child table; the most suitable interface for this is a subform.

Example: you have a table with names of persons, and you have a table with a list of hobbies. Each person can have several hobbies. To store them, you use an intermediate table in which each record is a person-hobby combination; this intermediate table is linked to both the persons table and the hobbies table. See attached screenshot, upper part.

The lower part of the screenshot shows a form based on the persons table, with a subform in which the user can select one or more hobbies. The form and subform were created using the Wizard; I modified it a bit but the basic design is that created by the Wizard. There is no code involved.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (13.4 KB, 0 views)