Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cut & paste from a word document to a memo field (2000)

Hi Karl,

I for one have experienced few problems with memo fields, and I don't think that copying and pasting from Word is a great risk.

Make sure that your users are aware that all formatting will be dropped.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

cut & paste from a word document to a memo field (2000)

I was curious if anyone has any experience/feelings/advice concerning cut & paste to memo fields.

I have a client tracking database for a welfare-to-work program that incorporates case notes. These notes are stored in memo fields in the database. A relationship with a client can last over a year and a half, with 1-2 (or more) case notes being generated each month for some clients. Prior to this database all case notes were hand-written, and I have had several of the case managers approach me asking about typing up case notes at home and then cutting & pasting (from Word) to the database.

I've always been wary of cut & paste between applications, having learned that this often leads to corruption, specifically in Word documents. I've never, however, dealt with this issue in Access and I'm looking for some advice. Since case loads for the Case Managers can sometimes swell to 70+ clients, over the past 3 months that the database has been in place, the need for case notes to be generated at a workstation has already created a backload of case notes. Though I've never had problems, I know that some people have experienced corruption in databases with memo fields, and I was curious if cut & paste from other applications exacerbates this problem. So far we have had no corruption issues, and I would love to keep it this way. Am I playing with fire if I allow users to cut & paste from Word?

And words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Karl

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I had a project last year which involved an extensive amount of cuttin' & pastin' from Word docs to Access memo fields with large blocks of text. This db had about 3000 records with all these memo fields & none of these records got corrupted by pasting text from Word docs. In other projects, I've imported data from Word docs to Access via automation (both text & memo fields) w/o any evidence of corruption. The only time I've encountered corruption in Access memo fields is in multi-user environment, typically when 2 users tried to update the same record simultaneously, or when some external factor such as loss of power or network connection occured when a save was being written to disk. Note that the Word project described above did NOT involve multiple users updating same records at same time; the usual procedure was to divvy up the Word docs to be inputted so there would not be conflicts of this type.

Since I was amongst the lucky "users" involved in this task, I created a function to help expedite slightly the tedious cut & paste process, which I dubbed "AutoPaste" in emulation of some goofy feature that Microsoft would dream up:

Private Sub AutoPaste()
    On Error GoTo Err_Handler

Dim strMsg As String

If Me.chkAutoPaste = True Then
    If IsNull(Me.ActiveControl.Value) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPaste
    End If
    End If

Exit_Sub:
    Exit Sub
    Err_Handler:
    If Err = 2046 Then 'Command "Paste" not available (clipboard empty)
    Resume Next
    Else
    strMsg = "Error No " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description
    Beep
    MsgBox strMsg, vbExclamation, "AUTOPASTE ERROR"
    End If
    Resume Exit_Sub

End Sub

After copying text from Word doc to clipboard, if the memo field was null, the user only had to click in the blank memo field on form to "automatically" paste the contents of clipboard. The sub is called from the On Enter event for the memo fields. "chkAutoPaste" refers to a checkbox on form that allowed user to toggle this "feature" on & off as necessary. It's kind of goofy but made the task a little less tedious....

HTH

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark & Hans,

Thanks for the input. Hearing what the two of you have to say makes me very happy, and will endlessly please my users. I may even give AutoPaste a whirl...

-Karl