Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with Registry W98SE

When I try to install a program from a magazine cover disk, after starting normally, the installation stops with the message 'Error 1402. Could not open key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftware[program name], and the installer quits Similarly, I have recently installed Adobe Reader v6. This runs normally from a pdf file in my PC, but comes up with the message 'Adobe PDF documents on the Web can be viewed with ... Internet Explorer. This feature is currently disabled. Would you like to enable this feature so you can view PDF documents in ...Internet Explorer?' If I click the 'Yes' button, I get the Error 1402 message, with the additional comment 'Verify that you have sufficient access to that key'.

If I run scanreg, I am told that no errors have been found, but if I open the Registry with regedit, and examine HKCUSoftware, it is completely empty - there is not the usual list of software that I would expect. Can you throw any light on what has occurred, and what I need to do to correct things?

Regards, Howard

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with Registry W98SE

You have no Software keys under HKCU?? Something corrupted your registry. Time to Go Back in time to an earlier copy of your registry... Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

1) Go to Folder Options, View tab.
    2) Select "Show All Files", uncheck "Hide file extensions...", and hit Apply, then OK. You want to see everything.
    3) Open the C:WindowsSysbkup folder.
    4) Copy all the .cab files in there to your Desktop -- we want to save them JUST IN CASE.

5) Reboot into DOS mode.
    6) At the DOS prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (no quotes) and hit Enter.
    7) You will be given a choice of five backup registry files to use. Choose one and cross your fingers, throw salt over your shoulder, say 10 Hail Mary's (eh, if you are Catholic), and rub garlic around the edge of your monitor.

Hopefully you will have a good backup amongst those five. For more info:
    Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)
    Using ScanReg
    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry

Lounger
    Thanks

R2

Thank you for your reply. I went through the procedures outlined, and found six .cab files, one of which was rather ominously called rbbad.cab! I restored the oldest of the normal files, which was dated 11th July, after invoking all the procedures outlined, and, being Jewish, throwing in a couple of Shemas and a Kaddish. All appeared to go well, but when I restored Windows and examined HKCU, I find that there are still no Software keys shown.

I fear that my problem probably goes back further than 1th july, so that my registry backups do not help. I think that I may have to reinstall Windows. Will reinstalling it over the top work, and is this likely to help? I know that if it doesn't, I shall have to consider using deltree, or even reformatting my hard disk, but past experience tells me that that is a three day job.

Have you any other ideas?

Regards, Howard

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Darn. I was hoping that the registry backups would have gone back to before the problem. How old is rbbad?? Might be worth a try -- you haven't much to lose... You don't have any other hidden registry backups anywhere, do you??

It sounds like you may be looking for a fun few days ahead. I do not know what caused your keys to disappear, but many programs store a significant amount of important persistent data in there.

Out of Interest, do you have any Software sub-keys under HKEY_USERSDEFAULT -- or ANY where else in HKEY_USERS??

The point being -- did you have a different identity on this machine before?? Does the machine think you are now a different user??

Banned Member
    Thanks

1402 is a permissions related error
    Try the link below. It covers the 1402 Error. Also talks about trying to run Office Setup, but don't pay any attention to that, just follow the fixes and I believe this will take care of your problem.
    Try this first Error 1402 Micrsoft # 236427 and then if that doesn't help try the fix below.

Try this; Go to REGEDIT
    Double click the Hkey_Local_Machine folder this will expand or open the folder
    Locate the software folder, Right Click on this folder and choose Permissions
    Select Add, type in Administrator and click OK. Make sure that Administrator is highlighted under Group or Usernames
    Under Permissions for Administrator, please check Allow for Read and Full Control
    Select Apply then OK
    Select Add, type in System and select OK
    Make sure that System is highlighted under Group or Usernames
    Under permissions for System, please verify that Allow for Read and Full Control is checked
    Select OK

Are you by any chance trying to install Kodak's Easyshare?

Also found this:Error 1402: It means the person forgot to input a User and/or Company Name while installing the program. They need to uninstall the program and reinstall it entering some sort of User and Company Name when prompted.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Very Strange. I have never seen a Win9x box use registry "persmissions". That is usually seen in the WinNT kernel -- but, it must be possible.

The User Profiles concept is the same thought I was having. The "Current User" profile may have been modified to a new User, and this new user has not installed any software...

Either way, this is a strange one....

Lounger
    Thanks

Dealing with R2's message, I think that he has put his finger on the main point, that my machine is confused as to my identity. A little history may help. The rbbad.cab file is dated 1st September 2002, which falls between my installation of ADSL and the nstallation of the USB wireless link, so I think that I would rather not use it.

I first used my PC as a single user. When I installed an ADSL line, my wife, Evelyn was attracted by the speed of internet access, and I accordingly set up, in August 2002, two users, 'Howard' and 'Evelyn' by using the Control Panel applet. This worked quite well until the inevitable conflict as to use of the PC. In September 2002 I accordingly installed a wireless USB link, so that Evelyn could use her own PC on the ADSL line. Somehow, in the course of installing this, I managed to multiply the number of users, so that although I still only show Howard and Evelyn as the two users on the Control Panel, in my C:windowsprofiles I now have four folders, All Users, Evelyn, Howard and Howar000. Where this last one came from I don't know, but this is the one which contains my current desktop which I have to use if I want to download a file onto my desktop.

Looking at HKEY_USERS I have the following sub-directories :- DEFAULT, Howard and Software. DEFAULT contains a usual collection of directories, and includes a software directory which contains a long list of software titles, and presumably is the reason why I am able to run all the programs that I have on my PC. The software key under Howard is empty.

What I would like to do is to revert to a single user position, since Evelyn is quite happy with using the ADSL line through her own PC. I would be grateful for guidance as to how to do this. Clearly I need to be able to use the DEFAULT keys only, but how do I get rid of the other profiles and keep the Howar000 profile?

Cowboy's note about the 1442 error code looks interesting, but I would welcome guidance as to whether I should follow up this line before tidying up my PC and Profiles.

Regards, Howard