New Lounger
    Thanks

links change when saved (xp)

Hi,
    Im creating a large powerpoint presentation.
    The problen is when ive added in some links and save it, next time its loaded the links go to slide 0 which doesn't exist.
    Anyone know why or how i can get around this?

thx

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: links change when saved (xp)

'Bout how many links do you have? I seem to recall there is a memory quirk about having too many links, but it was debated and I don't remember the conclusion.

LennyJo

New Lounger
    Thanks

ive got alot of links and slides, too many to count anyway.
    I'llhave to find another way of doing it

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, let me give you a bit more information to chew on. The link limit is only in versions 2000 and 97 according to official statements <g>. But I have heard reports of folks with 2002 experiencing it. One thought is the show was inherited from an earlier version and caused the problem, yet others maintain otherwise. Still, when having this problem, it might be good to get familiar with it in order to better diagnose.

The limit was (is) 64k of space dedicated to links. No one knows for sure what takes up the space. But we do know the more links you have and the longer the string to write those links, the more space is eaten up. I've even heard cases of only 40k being taken before the file had problems. There is an add-in (FixLinks) you can try that measures how much you are using and I've heard the free demo will test it for you. Understand it measures conservatively, so if you are anywhere close to 64k, you are there. It might even fix your links, who knows. Click here if you want to read more about the FixLinks add-in.

You can look at shortening the strings the links use to free up space, too. For external links, you can shorten the path by moving them to other folders closer to the show's location. For internal links (slides), you can shorten the slide's titles (if they appear long). Do this by copying the title placeholder and then deleting the original. The slide will then be known as Slide #, not "Our Corporation's Net Revenue for the Fiscal Year 2002".

I know one person who cleaned his file to fix links by saving the file as a Web page and then used PowerPoint to open the
    saved HTML presentation as a new presentation and then resaved it as PPT. It seems to recreate a new file. There also used to be a free product from MS called CloneMe that would rebuild corrupt files. You can do a word search on that.

You can read more about links and tips here. And read about a great variation of linking here that many consider a workaround to link limits.

Best of luck to you.

LennyJo

New Lounger
    Thanks

cheers im checking up those now and hopefully it'll be sorted one way or another