Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot download (IE6)

I just updated to IE6 and Windows 2000 SP4 cannot download from MS and web sites come up slow, unless Norton Firewall disabled. is there a clitch or is there an option I can turn on or off?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot download (IE6)

Johnny--

There is no reason I can think of that Norton Personal Firewall should generally slow you up unless you had it specially configured in a way to slow surfing or closed some important port--but Windows 200SP4 may be another issue and you might post on the Win 2K section. I have used NIS and IE6 for a good while and it doesn't impact surfing. However, my cable ISP can have issues that slow th ings with their Cisco routers or somewhere beyond the TCP/IP stack, and it's subject to the usual upstream and downstream issues and number of people on a node. There are certain offending patch/updates that have caused slowing mentioned in the lounge and everywhere else, but those are generally few.

SMBP

Thanks

Re: Cannot download (IE6)

Not sure what Norton firewall does, but Microsoft uses a lot of ActiveX programs. Could there be a setting in the firewall to (un)block ActiveX? (Our office firewall has such a setting, and lets you set trusted and untrusted domains for it.)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks