Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 Remote

I am using Outlook 2000 remotely, and I have to dial in to my company network before I can open Outlook to read or compose memos. Isn't there an option within Outlook that allows the user to open Outlook remotely without dialing into the network first? We are running Windows 95, Version B.

Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 Remote

Does Outlook start dialing when you start the program?

If you have a generic Internet connection already up and running and you start Outlook, does that allow you to receive mail, or do you need to actually make a connection to your network?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

offline folders. go into your profiel and set your exchange acct to use offline folders, it's on the advanced tab. it'll set the default folders to sync and you can add others by right clicking on the folders and setting the sync options.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I have to dial into the network first, then open Outlook 2000 and then I can compose new mail or read any mail in the inbox. The pst is kept on the network server, so I can only see the Outlook Today portion (no Personal Folders)which is fine, but it would be nice to be able to be offline and compose mail, then dial in only to upload messages and download any incoming mail.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Will this solution interfere with the settings for my PST? It's currently stored on the server, and it should stay that way. Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are you using a pst or a mailbox? if a pst, it won't work. if a mailbox, it won't interfer.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand the difference. I have a 50 MG mailbox which houses Outlook Today folders (inbox, deleted, calendar, etc.) and my personal folders (pst) are kept on the network server, and are only accessible when I am logged into the network (versus dialed in.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

is your mail stored in an exchange server mail box or in the pst? an ost only works with an exchange mailbox, it's offline storage. if you are using a pst for all your mail, you need to log on to the server first. (right click on the outlook today icon, choose properties then advanced. the path or mailbox info will be there)

you can set up a pst at home but be sure and leave mail on the server or you won't be able to access it from work.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to belabor this even further, but I checked and the mail is being kept on the exchange server (the path in advanced properties is set to our exchange server) and enable offline use is already checked on. But when I am offline and click to open Outlook, it looks for the pst...am I stupid or missing something or what?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Candace
    I think your problems are caused by your system not being set up properly for your needs.
    I've attached a document I've produced for our people here - we use Outlook98 and Outlook 2000 connecting to Exchange 5.5
    If you follow these instructions, you should find that you will be able to select offline working - from where you can process your mail without being permanently connected to the Exchange server. Of course, you have to make a temporary connection in order to send mail. but the document explains that.
    Post a reply on how you get on, please, as this document has never been exposed to anyone outside our corporate environment.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Brian, and thanks very much for the word document. I did follow it and ran into a couple of scenarios that I wanted to report back to you. I was able to follow all the instructions, except for: Under - configuring Outlook for Offline Working, 7. The path to the .ost file which was already in my profile was greyed out and could not be changed. It specified the location as: C:WINDOWSLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookOutlook.ost
    Also, when I was remote and tried to open Outlook, I get a window saying that the pst cannot be found (our pst's are kept on a network server and of course, are not available when we are offline. Did I miss something?

Also, when I tried to select the folders whose contents are required when working offline (step 15) right clicking on the folders to select the synchronization tab only worked for the standard folders in the mailbox (inbox/outbox, etc.) However, many of the other folders did not have a 'synchronization' tab at all. Can you explain this? So in the end, I was able to follow your instruction for most of the way, but I am still not able to open Outlook when remote as the system is looking for my pst which is on the network, even though I have an OST in the location noted above. Do you know what's missing or incorrect?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK
    Point 1
    <hr>The path to the .ost file which was already in my profile was greyed out and could not be changed. It specified the location as: C:WINDOWSLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookOutlook.ost<hr>
    That's OK. It means you do have an offline folder file created on your C: drive which we do not recommend in our company. It can be changed but it's not important. What it says is that the data has been copied to your hard drive.
    Point 2
    Bug in the document! Point 15 should say right click on the folder,Select Properties then click on the Synchronisation tab.
    Thanks for finding that.
    Thoughts about your .pst file problem to follow, when I've had a think.
    Are you now getting the menu coming up when you start Outlook? You can select Work Offline even if you are on the company LAN. That's one of the great features of it.
    Sudden thought: Where is your mail being delivered to? With Outlook running, select Tools | Services and then click on the Delivery tab. If you're not at work/on the LAN, get to the same dialogue by Start | Settings | Control Panel then double click on the Mail icon and then select the Delivery tab. Does it say "Mailbox - Candace Sanchez" or does it contain the name of your .pst file?
    Cheers for now.
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Brian: Here's my answers to your questions!

Bug in the document! Point 15 should say right click on the folder,Select Properties then click on the Synchronization tab.

(From Candy: Yes, I understood that, and followed these instructions, but there is no synchronization tab for any personal folders-however there is for all mailbox folders--those under Outlook Today)

Thoughts about your .pst file problem to follow, when I've had a think.
    Are you now getting the menu coming up when you start Outlook? You can select Work Offline even if you are on the company LAN. That's one of the great features of it.

(From Candy: Yes, I get the menu coming up whether I am online or offline, but when I'm offline and I select 'offline' an error message comes up saying its looking for my pst on the server, and, of course, can't find it)

Sudden thought: Where is your mail being delivered to? With Outlook running, select Tools | Services and then click on the Delivery tab. If you're not at work/on the LAN, get to the same dialogue by Start | Settings | Control Panel then double click on the Mail icon and then select the Delivery tab. Does it say "Mailbox - Candace Sanchez" or does it contain the name of your .pst file?

(From Candy: it says "Mailbox-Candace Sanchez" in the deliver new mail to the following location on the Deliver Tab)

By the way, what's a 'starlounger'?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From Candy: Yes, I understood that, and followed these instructions, but there is no synchronization tab for any personal folders-however there is for all mailbox folders--those under Outlook Today
    OK - I think I
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Brian, thanks for replying (again). I am attaching bmp files which show pretty much all my settings. Hopefully this will give you all the information at a glance, in case I missed something. Last minute note: I will need to email you the bmp files as they are larger than 100K, which is the limit to attach here. Send me your email please and I'll send you my settings.

In answer to your question: Question : Which order do you currently work when offline. Do you start the dial up connection and then start Outlook, or start Outlook then make a dial up connection?

I can start the dial up connection, and then open Outlook with no problem (always could). My problem occurs when I start Outlook 2000 without first starting a dial up connection. Thanks again...Candy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast