2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Workbooks (XP)

I am a computer trainer and we sometimes get the weirdest request. One request that I am hoping someone can help me with is this:
    I have a manager who has a worksheet that she wants her start to fillin, however the information is personal so she does not want the other staff to see each others. She also does not want the information on different worksheet, it all has to be on one worksheet. Currently she is having each one of them fill it out and send her a copy, where she copies and paste the information into that one sheet. Is there a way to protect sections of a worksheet so that other users could not see it and that the users who have rights to the section can edit and add material?
    Any suggestion on this would help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Workbooks (XP)

My only advice would be:

Don't do that with Excel.

Any determined user would break the protection easily by copying some (relatively simple!) VBA code from the web.

Let him keep with the system as it is: send each own personal info by a single sheet.

But you might create a simple macro that eases the importing process.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Workbooks (XP)

You could write code that would as for a user ID and password when the workbook was opened and then protect and unprotect areas and make areas visable or not visable. However, excel does not have a very secure method of protecting what is in a workbook, and any 10 year old could break into this in minutes.
    Legare Coleman