New Lounger
    Thanks

Error on Tables (2000)

Hello all,

I have a database that is split into a front end (mde) and a backend (mdb). There appears to be an error with the datafile. What will happen is if i scroll over the memo field in the table, it will give a loop saying "This action will reset the current code in break mode". If i go though the Comments Field (which is a memo) at a certain point it crashes Access. For grins i tried to open the table in XP and it crashes just by scrolling over the field.

Any ideas about what might cause this to happen?

Thanks,

Smidge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error on Tables (2000)

Perhaps the table has become corrupt. If you do a Compact and Repair (in Tools | Database Utilities) once, you'll be alerted if there were problems, and a new table MSysCompactError will be created with information about the problems. Corrupt memo fields will be converted to 16 # signs. Note: if you repeat Compact and Repair, previous versions of MSysCompactError will be removed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do what Hans says, but remember to make a backup copy of your database first. Just to be on the safe side.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, but when i try to compact and repair the database, it never finishes. It just hangs with the status bar at the bottom and never finishes... Any ideas what would cause this to happen?

Thanks again,
    Smidge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I fear with great fear that your database (more specifically, one table in it) has become damaged beyond repair. But before giving up, try JetComp. This is a standalone utility that sometimes can repair a database that the internal compact-and-repair can't handle. Don't get your hopes up high, though.

You can download Jetcomp from ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center.

You can also try to import the database objects into a new blank database, but chances are that you won't be able to import the damaged table.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried the JetComp tool, it errors before finishing. Is there anyway to see where this is coming from? All of the records except for 1 are OK. I can copy and paste all of the other 200 or so records, but i'm afraid that this will happen again.... Is it bad to have XP and 2000 accessing the same data? Is there something that happens when it's over a network?

Thanks
    Smidge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Memo fields are reputedly more sensitive to corruption than other types of fields, although I have had very few problems with them; at the place where I work we use many databases with memo fields, and have had hardly any problems with data corruption.

Access is extremely sensitive to network problems. The slightest hickup in the network connection will upset it. If the connection is temporarily lost while the database is writing a memo field, this could cause corruption,

The best you can do is copy all records except for the corrupt one into a new table, and use that instead of the old one.

New Lounger
    Thanks

If i change it to a text field with a limit of 255, do you think that would help?

-Smidge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The probability of corruption of a text field is less than that for a memo field. This is because the contents of a memo field are not stored in the table itself; the table just contains a pointer to where the actual data are stored. If this pointer gets damaged, Access gets seriously confused.

So, if your users can express their deepest emotions in 255 characters or less, use a text field. It won't repair the table you now have, though.