5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blocked messages failing to block (OE 6)

My blocked senders list is not be retained when OE is closed and reopened. I can use Messages | Block sender and they show up on the list Tools | Message Rules | Blocked Senders List. But once I close and reopen OE they are no longer on that last list.

I made this problem myself months ago by trying to delete a person via the registry. I don't remember why I went that route. Is there any help for this bumbling person?

Thanks Fay

Thanks

Re: Blocked messages failing to block (OE 6)

I can't tell you how this feature is supposed to work, but if you deleted, say, the fourteenth item out of a longer list in the registry, it's possible that when OE reloads the list it will stop at the missing entry. How about recreating the deleted entry with some fictitious address. Does that help?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fay--

In addition to Jefferson's tip try this:

Export the registry key first or Back It Up:
    256986: Windows Registry
    267305:OLEXP: HOW TO: Manage the Blocked Sender's List in Outlook Express

Retaining Entries in OE Blocked Sender's List:

1) Hit the Windows Key + "R Key" or Start>Run
    2) Type in "regedit."
    3) Delete this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentities{GUID}SoftwareMicrosoft Outlook Express5.0BlockSenders

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks it seems to be working correctly now. Thank God. I am getting so tired of the trash.

Fay

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fay--

I can't find it this minute, and some others might, but I know there are other ways I believe I saw on Tom Koch's site to filter mail he thinks are superior to the Block Sender's list intrinsic to OE. If I can nail it later, I'll put it up. You also might want to consider some of the threads on Softwear Finds where Spam Filters have been discussed several times at great length:

Beyisian or Beysian Spam Filters May 25 Software Finds. I believe you can use either spelling, but not completely sure.
    Spam Not the Meat Software Finds May 19

There are ubiquitous spam filters out there, and a number of them are discussed in lounge threads. Microsoft is supposed to be working on it full throttle and hopefully it'll be available sometime soon. A number of the filters I linked and others linked in the threads are specific to Outlook Express.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Fay--

I also should have mentioned. Don't be spooked by the fact that you have OE 6 and up and keys or subkeys in your OE6 registry have "5" in them. I have pitched this to several OE experts and registry experts, and though I can't tell you all the why that this happens it is normal physiology for the registry to often have keys mentioning older versions and there are several examples of this. Whether it is historical or helps the developers reference something prior, I don't know...yet.

Ed/SMBP 7 21 03: Tom Koch's Partial Explanation of Prior Numbers in Later OE Version Registry Key

Also, if you have OE6, and haven't updated to OE6SP1 (OE6 SP` is a separate update from IE6SP1. IE6SP1 is availalbe as a stand alone update if you have an OS prior to Windows XP, or if you have Windows XP, it is included in XP SP1 if you choose to install it. You also should apply the OE6 April 2003 Cumulative Security Patch--no bugs or slow downs reported in several months since it's release.

331923: An Overview of the Cumulative Update for OE6 SP1
    330994: April, 2003 Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)

SMBP