New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't add new record to subform (Access 97)

I have a form with 17 subforms in a tab control. All (subforms) are linked to the main form. From each subform, you can view all the related records, but you can't add a new record. In what seems 'just out of the blue', my goto new record button gives me an error message "can't go to specified record ect.". Then, I noticed the * by the navigation buttons is grayed out. Other than modifing/adding some controls to these forms, I haven't changed any properties. During the build of this db, there was never a problem (goto record acNew worked fine), then things just stopped. When you open these 'subforms' individually as forms, everything is fine (ie.you can add a new record). These 'subforms' are bound to tables, not complex queries. I recently split the db, but threw out the links, and imported back the tables: this did not help.
    I learned about this forum at the Denver Area Access Users Group....many had good things to say about it. Thanks for your help!
    Ralph

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't add new record to subform (Access 97)

What kind of controls did you add? If that is really the only thing you changed, the cause must be there (think hard - you really really didn't change anything else?)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I found my error: I did change the property in the main form (allow edits = false). I had written code to turn it on when needed, but a guess after a form is loaded and you turn on edits (by code) it doesn't restore the ability to add records. All seems very obvious now; following 3 hours of anxiety! (but I'll very forget the importance of allow edits!) Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you found it yourself. Good luck with further development, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have them.