3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening an Attachment for Editing (2000)

I received an email with an attachment. When I open the email the attachment is there/open, as well, right in the middle of the email message. I don't know anything about embedded files but I wonder if this is one. If I copy and paste the complete text of the email to Word this attachment is not there. I can right click inside the attachment (which is a list/table), go to properties and this screen shows: Picture Source - outbin:/10...; Alternate Test: ole0.bmp.
    Can someone tell me about this attachment and how I can edit it and resend it. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening an Attachment for Editing (2000)

I'm not sure whether: <UL><LI>the attachment is so large that it can't be shown - in which case this thread might be of help - or <LI>you are on the wrong side of the dreaded Outlook 2000 Security Patch. I tend to think it is the former - from the details that you've given - but it might help if you could say which Service Release Patch (if any) you've applied. (If you have trouble telling, go to Help|About Microsoft Outlook - it's on the first line of the dialogue box.)[/list]HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

From my Inbox I see that I have an email with an attachment. I double click to open the email and there in the actual middle of the body of the email is this "separate" table (for lack of a better word). I see everything in this table, text ,etc. It is only about 18 lines so I don't think it is a size thing. But I am unable to copy, paste, etc this "table" in the middle.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is the attachment a bitmap picture (*.bmp)? It's possible that the attachment is a picture, or was mistakenly pasted into the message as a picture. When you right click it, what kind of save options do you get?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Thanks

That gibberish is how Outlook encodes embedded pictures in HTML messages. I'm not certain, but I think the message format is compatible with MHTML, a MIME encoding format. You've probably noticed in Internet Explorer that when you save a page, you have the option to save a Web Archive (*.mht). Same thing happens there. Even if the formats were identical, through, which is not clear, I'm not sure there is any way to use the MHTML interpreter to unpack the image from the e-mail message back into an attachment. The formats in which you can save an e-mail are either too limited (text, rich text, HTML) or proprietary (msg/eml). And even if you could get it into a "web archive," the picture really is a picture and not an editable table. So you might be best off having the sender send something editable as an attachment rather than trying to extract the picture.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I do believe it is a picture and I can't edit it. When I do a Save As for the email the embedded picture is there but contents are not visible. If I right click the picture and select Show Picture nothing happens.
    I just wanted to make sure there was nothing simple and straight-foward that I could do on my end to open and edit and re-send this picture before having the sender re-send it to me as an attachment. Thanks, again guys.