Star Lounger
    Thanks

Equation Editor - Memory Problem (2000 Win2K, WinXP)

Hello,

I have a question... When using the equation editor to make rather involved series of equations that cover most of a page, the computer starts having memory problems. The screen doesn't refresh, and when an attempt is made to save the document, the "low resources" message appears on the screen. Now, if the entire document is copied to the clipboard, then I get out of Word, then I restart Word and paste the document back in, I am able to save the document. I'm not sure if this is a Word problem, but it only happens to this document in Word, so I am posting to this forum. It happens in Word 2000 using Windows 2000 on one machine, and the same thing happens in another version of Word 2000 on a machine running Windows XP.

Is Word using up memory doing other things, or is this a machine problem?

Thanks for any help given.

Thanks

Re: Equation Editor - Memory Problem (2000 Win2K, WinXP)

The Equation Editor is one of the more notorious little helpers in Office, being responsible for corrupting documents in a manner that causes bizarre error messages such as "Disk Full" when trying to save a document (and the disk clearly is not full). While I think these bugs have been reduced over the years, there is a certain degree of risk in using it.

Microsoft's Equation Editor was derived from an earlier version of a commercial product. For tips on Microsoft's Equation Editor, and a comparison of features of MathType, visit Design Science's page for Equation Editor users. If equations are mission critical for your organization, you might end up shelling out the $129.

Thanks

Re: Equation Editor - Memory Problem (2000 Win2K, WinXP)

Oh, here's another old post that looks useful:
    <hr>Subject: Re: Equation Editor 3.0 (Word 2000 SR1) [#186396]
    Poster: Mr.MathType
    Posted on: 07-Oct-02 22:12

The only "tutorial" we provide for Equation Editor 3.0 is the Help file included with the application. We also have some "Equation Editor Tips & Tricks" which you can access on our web site at the link in my signature.

I know of a couple of web sites that have Equation Editor tips and/or tutorials: (These sites are not affiliated with Design Science, Inc.)
    1. <LI>Indezine -- Mostly related to using Equation Editor with PowerPoint.

<LI>University of Waterloo -- Great tutorial! Includes video clips you can download if you want.

<LI>The Land-Grant Training Alliance -- Also PowerPoint-related.

<LI>The Science Education Team at Los Alamos National Laboratory -- For all you lurking WordPerfect users.
    Bob Mathews, Director of Training
    Design Science, Inc.
    FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5<hr>
    Maybe these sites can shed some light on memory usage issues.