3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express (Version 5)

Hi

I run Outlook Express version 5 on Windows 98. Version 5 doesn't contain an archiving capability, so the file sizes just get bigger and bigger. The main problem, of course, is attachments (for example, photos).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to save the attachment elsewhere on the drive, and delete the attachment from the email (I often want to keep the message itself). Failing that, any solution that reduces the size of my Outlook files without losing the messages would do.

I'd much prefer a free solution. I've looked on microsoft.com, but can't find out whether Outlook 6 provides archiving capabilities. And the only decent add-on I can find isn't free (Outlook Express Archive Pro).

Any ideas, hints, tips, suggestions?

Thanks
    Dale

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express (Version 5)

Hi Dale--

This should get you started. There may be some other ways more to your liking. From Tom Koch's OE site Tomsterdam which is full of OE How To's, and drills into it pretty well, including a couple free downloads to tweak/improve OE 5 or 6. Check out Tom's OE FAQ's and OE Tips. There's a lot on this site. Also see Tom's Tips on Message Rules.

Here's How:

Two Ways To Save An OE Message Without Its Attachment

Of course even if the person is one of your best friends or closest business associate, they can still transmit a virus, trojan, blended threat or the currently in vogue superworm. But if I have reason to expect something important I might scan the attachment (most of the newer antiviral programs do it automatically but you can right click scan them in seconds and if you're keeping the definitions up daily (in Norton it's Intelligent updater and I just keep that on my quickstart menu).

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help, SMBP. And thanks for pointing me to http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/. What a great resource.

Dale

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dale--

I'll go you one more set of resources along those lines--Microsoft MVP's Big List. Notice that if you click the links you get a number of the MVP's web sites in categories. I hope you got the attachments severed to your liking. I'm sure there are a number of ways to skin the cat there.

SMBP