3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double copies of Office? (Office XP)

I bought a Windows XP computer yesterday. I installed Office XP logged on as user Alan. When my wife logs on as user Chris and attempts to run an Office program (in this case, Word), there is a message saying that the feature is on the Office installation disks. After Xing out on this message, I am able to run the program. Does this mean that a double copy of Office XP must be installed on the same computer? I find this difficult to believe. I know that there must be something that I do not realize. Please advise.
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double copies of Office? (Office XP)

If you do a standard installation, Office does not load everything - just the parts it thinks you need to get you going. It would seem when your wife logs in Word is looking for part of the program that is still on disk. If you pop the disk in next time this message comes up, it will update and won't ask again (until you need a different part which is also not loaded).
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Double copies of Office? (Office XP)

Next time you will install programs on your computer you want to run from different user profiles, do it from Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs | Add New Program, rather than from CD Autostart feature.

Many recent programs have the dialog in their Setup asking you do you want to install the proram "For anyone using this computer" / "Just for me". But older Setups, including Office XP, presume that you want to install "just for me" if you run Setup from Windows Explorer or from Autostart. Keep it in mind and use Control Panel to install programs just to be on the safe side.