Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print colors as solid black? (2000 SP3/Win2k)

I want to print a document containing a blue logo in solid black, not a stipple. I *think* Win98 & Office97 could do that on my LJ4M. Is this option (still) around somewhere?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Print colors as solid black? (2000 SP3/Win2k)

Does checking the "Print colors as black on noncolor printers" option under Tools|Options|Compatability do what you want?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Macropod. That's definitely the option I meant, but it does not do what I expected -- still get gray scale from the printer. What difference is checking that item supposed to make? Do some printers refuse to print gray unless it is checked?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

<hr>What difference is checking that item supposed to make?<hr>
    Um, print colors as black on noncolor printers, I suppose, instead of printing them as grayscale. But maybe that only applies to text,In which case you may need to convert the graphic to B/W. Then again, it may be a case of a printer driver not doing the required conversion, in which case converting the graphic to B/W would still work, as would installing a printer driver that works correctly.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

With an HP LaserJet 4050, and similar, the PostScript driver honors the setting to print colored text as black, while the PCL drivers (as of a year ago when I last checked) ignore it. For graphics, I'm not sure the setting applies. I think graphics usually print in grayscale regardless of the Word options setting. Maybe this is controlled in the printer (driver) settings?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jefferson. Interesting. The option for black works for colored *text* with Postscript *and* PCL drivers (LJ4M/Win2k). But not for the bitmapped logo. I bored down into driver properties but saw no likely options. On this job is I'm hoping that the grayscale areas in the artwork will be seen as black by the camera. They are pretty dark and the dots are close. And to clarify why I'm not using a mono version of the template, the deliverables are: 1. Word doc for the Web (color needed), and 2. Camera-ready art (mono). Cheers, David.