Thread: Slow Combo Box

Glyn

Slow Combo Box

I am using Access 97 and have a combo box on a form which displays a list of contacts from a query. My problem is that there are a large number of contacts (>1,000) and when entering letters into the combo box so that it jumps to the nearest match it is very slow. Does anyone know how I can speed this up.

Thanks in advance

Glyn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Combo Box

One thing that I have done is to put two combo boxes on the form. The first one selects a letter from the alphabet which loads the items in the second box beginning with that letter.
    Legare Coleman

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Combo Box

Hi Glyn,
    I had a similar problem and it was solved this way.
    Forget the combo, just have a text field. If the user starts typing let them type the name (check for validity on exit). If they pressed F4 (that drops a combo list when in a combo) then it launches a modal dialog where one had various filtering options for selecting the name (eg. only in XXXX, postcode 1234...) which is displayed in a list, being requeried when the user exits one of the filter fields. A double click on the list selects the name, or should there only be one after the filter is applied that is selected automatically.
    It seems clumsy but it is fact easy and rapid to use and the user finds it much more pratical and responsive.