Star Lounger
    Thanks

Eudora attachments not received by Outlook user (Outlook version ?)

Hi,

I use Eudora and SecExMail (an automatic encryption/compression email manager). I am having continuous problems with sending attachments to a Microsoft Outlook user (not Outlook Express), sorry but I'm not sure which version he is using. I run Windows 2000 and am using Eudora Pro 5.1. I have read that Outlook users cannot receive attachments sent to them by Mac Users of Eudora.

Is there any chance this problem also affects Windows uses of Eudora.

SecExMail is a program that sets up a server for email (you nominate which email software you use, i.e. in my case Eudora). SecExMail allows userrs to distributes keys between each other, which encrypt/compress the email message itself as well as any attachments sent - seamlessly in the background (after keys have been exchanged when setting up).

I do medical typing for doctors and we transfer voice files and finished documents back and forth, so SecExMail provides the perfect solution. Unfortunately the problem of the Outlook user not receiving attachments is getting very annoying...sometimes they get through, sometimes they don'the (but lately getting through less often).

I hope someone can offer some suggestions - the only one I can think of is to switch to Outlook myself so we are compatible, but I really do not want to do this - Eudora works well for me and gives me easy control over everything; also I have mailboxes, filters, etc in place and don't trust exporting them to Outlook without a heap of possible errors.

Thanks people,

ozgal

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Eudora attachments not received by Outlook user (Outlook version ?)

I think you want to ensure your attachments are going out MIME encoded. I think this can be set in Eudora, but I don't know where. It's also possible that your secEx program is affecting this, so even if Eudora is set up correctly, cecExmail is changing it. Best to check both places.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I have checked Eudora and it is sending out attachments in MIME format. I have checked all the SecExMail configuration areas and there is no mention anywhere of format. When I have been in contact with SecExMail makers they say their server simply encrypts the whole message, including attachment, and compresses it before directing mail through their router. They say their method in no way changes anything about the attachment or message.

I have also sent a copy of your suggestion to the makers of SecExMail to get their comment on whether the "MIME" format is changed in any way.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

What is the file extension on the attachments?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there,

They are MS Word documents, so extension is .doc

I do know about not sending .exe files, and when I need to I just zip them to get around the .exe problem.

I think the problem may be SecExMail that I am using - Eudora on its own has no problem sending attachments and they do not fall off.

The makers of SecExMail have never seen this problem before they tell me and I have sent them quite a few sample emails that show the original email with attachment and return message by contact saying it has not been received.

I think it is time to give up on SecExMail. I also tried to install another of their products, Crypto Anywhere and after installing it on my computer it hangs. Either there is something on my system that is causing problems (perhaps a software incompatibility - I have scores of apps so would not be willing to try to track it down this way) or something at SecExMail's end. If they have not encountered this problem with anyone else I am left with no option but to stop using the program because I have not been able to find a fix.

Thanks for any help you can offer.