Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error Message from Outlook using Windows search (Outlook Version ? )

Hi,

This problem has been occurring forever. Whenever I press Start/Search/Files or Folders an error message comes up (screencapture attached), saying:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client".

Now the problem is I use Eudora, which I have set up as the default mail client, and I do not want to use Microsoft Outlook as my email client.

Has anyone else seen this error and if so, is there anything I can do to get rid of it.

Hope someone can help as it has been driving me nuts for a long time now.

ozgal

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message from Outlook using Windows search (Outlook Version ? )

Looking at your search you are asking Windows to look in every file for the text you are seeking. Given proprietary file formats etc I wonder if that means that if it comes across, say, a PST file (Outlook's data stash) that it will make calls to Outlook features to query the contents of that file.
    Here's a question for you - if you limit the scope of your search to certain types of files do you get the same error message appearing? For example, say you limited search to files of *.doc or somesuch?
    If doing that eliminates the problem then you may need to do a search and destroy on Outlook data files (assuming that you not only do not use Outlook for mail but you also do not use it for contacts, calendars, etc, etc)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message from Outlook using Windows search (Outlook Version ? )

Hi Ian,

I don't think it matters what type of file I am searching for as the error screen comes up before I have even typed anything into search line, i.e. as soon as I press Start/Search/File Folders and then think for a moment about what I am searching for...up comes the error message....!

Also, a search and destroy mission! My gosh, that sounds lethal.

How do I search for Outlook data?

Thanks again,

ozgal

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error Message from Outlook using Windows searc

Try entering

*.*

in the first line of the dialogue ("Search for files or folders named:") and see if the error message still arises. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

As I mentioned above, the problem arises before I even type anything into the search field.

ozgal

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    What happens when you click OK on the error message dialog? Are you then able to enter search parameters?
    I have seen that error before but in my case it was while using Outlook. Eventually fixed the problem when I realised that it started happening after installing a somewhat geriatric version of Winfax which clearly did not play nicely with Office 2000. Getting rid of Winfax cleared up my problem. Which raises another question - can you think of anything that was added/deleted/changed prior to encountering this problem?
    Oh, and one final thing... I just have to ask whether you saw any of the netball game where, at long last, NZ managed to come out on top of the Australian team (with the ever lengthening list of Oz sporting victories we Kiwis have to get maximum mileage out of every win!!)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there Ian,

Yes once I click OK on the error message I am able to search for files (it's just a nuisance to have this darn thing come up with it's attached error message wav sound every time I search - usually countless times a day).

Thanks for the suggetion re Winfax. I did actually have some undeleted files it left behind when I uninstalled this program a long time ago. I have removed them and rebooted, but still the error message comes up when I try to do a search. I have also recently used Norton's Utilities to do a Windows check and I have also used Perfectdisc to defrag.

Neither of these seems to have fixed the problem.

It's annoying but maybe I'll have to live with it.

Sorry I can't help you with the sports side of things...I am anti-sport fan (live in male dominated household who watch Aussie Rules (Carlton) every chance they get. I've installed Foxtel Pay TV in my bedroom to help get me through winter footy season.

Even though I don't actively view sports I do realise that Australia is gaining a solid reputation for being up there among the winners in many competitive sporting fields.

C'mon Kiwis....if we can do it, so you can you!!! Ten cheers for the little battlers taking on and beating the big boys!!!! Congrats on kicking our @#$!% this time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again
    I'm wondering whether it is worth your while trying either the "detect and repair" feature (on your Outlook "Help" menu) or even re-installing Outlook. Obviously that also means you have the hassle of applying the various security patches etc but you may consider the effort worthwhile if it eliminates the annoying error.
    You have my sympathy for being a refugee from Aussie Rules, but with all those fabulous restaurants in Melbourne how do you ever find time to watch TV??
    Cheers
    Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian,

I'll give the detect and repair feature a try. It's not worth it to me to reinstall at this time (hate the error, but hate reinstalling with patches even more). I right clicked on help but could not see detect and repair.....can you give me exact instructions on how to find this.

Re Melbourne restaurants....reason...hungry teenagers......money!!!!!

We used to eat out a fair bit, but these days have learned to appreciate home cooking (and that ain't cheap either!).

Thanks again for your help Ian.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Use the left mouse button to drop down the Help menu, Detect and Repair should be on the list of menu items. See the attached screenshot of what it looks like for Outlook XP, it should be similar for OL2000.
    Good luck!!
    Cheers
    Ian

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ian,

How did you get the screencapture image to show up! I didn't know we could paste them here....! I tried to capture my screen with the help menu showing but when I went to select the area for screencapture it automatically closed the help menu.

My copy of Outlook Express 6 does not have the detect and repair option.

Thanks

Screen capture in the Lounge

It's really just a file attachment. The Lounge software will display JPG, GIF, and PNG file attachments below the message body.

To capture the screen with a menu open, press PrintScrn and paste it into some kind of graphics software. You can use Paint for many of these things; in Windows XP, it's fairly functional, in earlier versions of Windows, less so. Make sure to trim the graphic down to the minimum size possible. We are bandwidth-constrained.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen capture in the Lounge

Thanks for that info about screencapture with Prt Scr pressed down.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

For more info, see <post#=270762>post 270762</post#>. (Sorry I have no ideas on your present problem.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that John,

Sounds like a handy tip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast