Lounger
    Thanks

Sysprep install of Office 2000

I installed Windows 2000 Professional and Office 2000 on a master machine using the local Administrator account, sysprepped the result and cloned to multiple machines. After the basic user personalization, when I open any Office component while logged on as a normal user, I get an Error 1706. This happens 3 times, but on the 3rd try (the 1st 2 having been cancelled), it coughs and hiccups a bit, but eventually it opens just fine and continues to do so thereafter. This has to be repeated with each component. I think KB article Q258847 is relevant but wonder if anyone understands what's going on, and how to fix it?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sysprep install of Office 2000

When you installed Office did you install from a CD/network share, or did you install from an Office2000 installation share (I have the steps somewhere to do this. . . ) From what I have read for the "install on first use" stuff ti work correctly from a network installation, you actually have to set up an installation share. . . I am getting ready to do this, so any advice is certainly welcome.

Tom

Lounger
    Thanks

No, I did it the old-fashioned way: from the CD. I clean-installed Windows 2000 Pro, SP1, Office 2000 Premium (SR-1 integrated), and a bunch of other applications. The Office installation was 100% "Run all from local HDD" or whatever the phrase is, (other than Clippy, who was deleted) so there should be no need for any O2K source. Then I Sysprepped the whole thing and used Ghost to write the image to CD. On the boot of the image, Win2K entered the GUI setup phase and the final setup finished normally. Most other applications fired up as expected.

Scott A

After installing Office 2000, try copying the installing admin profile on top of the Default user profile.
    This will "pre-populate" all the per-user Office 2000 data for any new user that logs on to the machine.

HTH
    - Scott